Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beermatt0
Level 7

Remote Control on app or cast to youtube

Why can't i disabled the remote control for the roku app or stop people from the motel i live in from casting their youtube on my tv. I have device control disabled I have everything i see disabled in the settings. YouTube has none with casting settings i told google about it. Its bs i cant stop it interrupting my programs. I want no suggestions cuz there's nothing I can do and I know everything about the device

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote Control on app or cast to youtube

@Beermatt0

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote Control on app or cast to youtube

@Beermatt0 wrote:

Why can't i disabled the remote control for the roku app or stop people from the motel i live in from casting their youtube on my tv. I have device control disabled I have everything i see disabled in the settings. YouTube has none with casting settings i told google about it. Its bs i cant stop it interrupting my programs. I want no suggestions cuz there's nothing I can do and I know everything about the device

All Roku's come with mirroring/casting fully enabled by default.

Miracast can be disabled for non-stick modelsSettings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=disabled (IR-only remote functionality with it disabled - stick models have to rely on the "never allow" or "block/always block" screen mirroring settings)

AirPlay can be disabled for all modelsSettings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/AirPlay=Off

Unfortunately Roku provides no way to disable DIAL-based casting at all, or Play-On-Roku casting fully (due to a bug).

Both DIAL (e.g. YT and NF use this) and PoR casting should be controlled by Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps - however only PoR is, and only for third-party PoR apps: If this setting is disabled, The Roku Remote app is exempted (it still works) - this is a huge bug in recent RokuOS versions/builds that has yet to be addressed.

So even if you disable "Control by Mobile apps" it wont effect the Roku Remote app at all, nor YT or NF (or any app that uses DIAL), such that anyone on the same network can cast to/control your Roku device.

You should report this bug/limitation to Roku directly:

chat/email/phone:     https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options      (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos