Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SYNACKS
Reel Rookie

Region Locking: Disney Plus

Jump to solution

Hi All!

It seems that many channels, notably Disney+ are region locked, and can't be downloaded on a Roku registered in New Zealand. This is also true for many other apps (ie. Amazon Prime). 

These subscriptions are available in New Zealand, it's just the app that is region locked by Roku. 
I can watch D+ via my Laptop or iPad, but not via my ROKU. 

I've spoken with Roku support previously, who directed me to speak with Disney+ support. 
I contact D+ support, who advised me that they do not control which countries are region locked, and this is something Roku must change on their end. 

I'm basically going around in circles, so would like to know who best to approach to get this escalated. and these apps made available here (and in other countries, where I'm sure other users are experiencing the same frustrations).

It doesn't make sense that the app isn't available, when a subscription [that I'm paying for] is required to use it anyway. The apps are downloaded directly from ROKU CDN's, so this regional IP filtering is being applied by Roku. 

Any help at all is much appreciated!

Dan

UPDATE

I ended up moving away from ROKU products because of this, and now have an Apple TV which doesn't illogically region lock their own customers. 

Apple TV has been great, highly recommend other customers experiencing the above problem follow suit. Roku clearly doesn't seem to care about this feedback. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Region Locking: Disney+

Jump to solution

@SYNACKS 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm sure Disney does have something to do with it. >>licensing probably

you probably spoke to some airhead there. and/or Roku has legal obligations.

There are ways around this that are not supported.

On the other hand you have channels not available in the US.

One of them out of Australia I wish I had.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SYNACKS 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SYNACKS
Reel Rookie

Re: Region Locking: Disney Plus

Jump to solution

I ended up moving away from ROKU products because of this, and now have an Apple TV which doesn't illogically region lock their own customers. 

Apple TV has been great, highly recommend other customers experiencing the above problem follow suit. Roku clearly doesn't seem to care about this feedback. 

Goobi

Re: Region Locking: Disney Plus

Jump to solution

Going to do the same thing. Had a Roku for 9 years, upgraded to the newest model (roku ultra 2022) only to note roku cares nothing for customers outside the US. The device is so watered down with barely amy functionality other than watching YouTube and Netflix when used outside the USA. You can't even search for channels outside the USA, or at least in my region: South Africa. Roku support were arrogant and cut my support chat off. They don't support major channels (which are legally available in South Africa, notably Amazon Prime Video and Disney+) in South Africa. They remove half of the features and becomes a really expensive and silly way to watch Netflix. I already owened a chromecast, which is nice but I wanted something that supports Ethernet. Many better choices available nowadays other than Roku's stoneage approach and zero care for International customers. Customers outside the US: be warned, even though your favourite streaming service is available in your country and even though the Roku is capable of supporting it, Roku simply doesn't care about making the device more usable for many users in other regions. These apps mentioned works perfectly on Google's Chromecast without any VPN's or nonsense but not on the Roku in certain regions. It is purely ridiculous.

Furthermore, I thought there would be some revolutionary improvements in the 9 year gap between my Rokus, there were none to be found other than a few new buttons on the remote. The UI and UX is no different from 9 years ago.. one would think they would keep up with the times.

Extremely disappointed in Roku. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi - I’m in the United Kingdom but my Roku isn’t showing Disney Plus as an available channel. I can’t figure out how to check the region is U.K. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't know of a way for a user to determine what region his device is linked to, but if you search for "Disney" and the Disney+ app doesn't show up I'd say that's a pretty good indication that your account isn't a UK account.  Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to start over - factory reset your Roku device and link it to a new Roku account.  Make sure you're not using a VPN or anything that might hide your true location when you create your account.  You should also clear any browser cookies or use a private/incognito browser window when you create the new account.

These links are for the US, but hopefully they'll work or redirect to the UK ones (which should have the same info):

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

How to close your Roku® account | Official Roku Support

How to create a Roku® account | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos