Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Record premium stations on Roku Channel

If I subscribe to HBO, SHOWTIME, etc on the Roku Channel will I be able to record movies and play them back from a browser on a PC or mobile device?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Record premium stations on Roku Channel

Since it's all a form of OnDemand, recording is not needed. Most everything that airs "live" on the movie channels is or soon is available for streaming/OnDemand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I often like to record movies to watch when I travel.  If I see something I'm interested in watching I'll save it for my next trip but that may not be for 2 or three months.  By then that movie may no longer be available on demand.  I'm trying to decide if I should subscribe to the the premium channels through Roku or YouTubeTV.  Roku has some package deals which makes it the better pick cost wise but I believe YouTube will let me "record" the movies and make them accessible for 9 months.  The longer storage time is more important to be so unless Roku offers something similar I'll go with YouTube.  So I still need an answer to my question - can I record premium channels with Roku? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@gabe817 wrote:

I often like to record movies to watch when I travel.  If I see something I'm interested in watching I'll save it for my next trip but that may not be for 2 or three months.  By then that movie may no longer be available on demand.  I'm trying to decide if I should subscribe to the the premium channels through Roku or YouTubeTV.  Roku has some package deals which makes it the better pick cost wise but I believe YouTube will let me "record" the movies and make them accessible for 9 months.  The longer storage time is more important to be so unless Roku offers something similar I'll go with YouTube.  So I still need an answer to my question - can I record premium channels with Roku? 

Roku devices have no recording ability. There are some providers that offer the ability to download for off-line viewing. Netflix and Prime Video both permit that. But it only works with portable devices: phones, tablets or laptops. I've downloaded videos from both Netflix and Prime to my iPad and watched them in-flight. But Roku has no such portable device, and also has no internal storage memory to support such downloads. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos