Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefnef
Level 7

Reauthentication Doesn't Work

I have Armstrong Cable in Medina OH. I am trying to use a Roku. Every live streaming channel I try to add requires "reauthentication". I go through the procedure, put the code into my laptop, get green check marks on both the computer and the Roku, but when I try to go to the live stream, I get the same message over and over. Please help. 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Reauthentication Doesn't Work

Let's get some specifics. Which apps? Don't say "All." List 3-5 by name. That might make a difference.

Next, be aware that there is some form of single sign-on in Roku. That means that if there are related apps -- that is, apps by the same family of networks, such as ABC, Disney, Freeform, and that family, or A&E, History, Lifetime, and that family -- then if one gets jacked up in some way, the others might too.

So, let's work on that. You won't like this, but the best way to proceed is to log out (if logged in) to any of those apps, then remove the apps. And, if it's truly happening on "all" of those TV Anywhere apps, then remove all of those apps.

Next, reboot the Roku. This is important. Do not skip this step. The reboot after an app is removed actually clears stuff out, if there's a data issue.

Now, pick one TV Anywhere app. Only one. Then, add it back to the Roku. Try to authenticate with it. Does it work?

If not, let us know where things went awry.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jefnef
Level 7

The two TV Anywhere channels I want to add and have been having the same issue over and over with are Food Network and ESPN. 

I did a full factory reset of the Roku. Went through the authentication procedure again, and same result. 

I will try it again. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jefnef" wrote:
The two TV Anywhere channels I want to add and have been having the same issue over and over with are Food Network and ESPN. 

I did a full factory reset of the Roku. Went through the authentication procedure again, and same result. 

I will try it again. 

Food Network is part of the Discovery family of channels (Discovery, Animal Planet, HGTV, TLC, Travel, Velocity, etc) so remove all of those.

ESPN is part of the Disney family (Disney, ABC, ESPN, Freeform, etc) so remove all of those.

After reboot, try picking one, as mentioned, and see what happens.

Let me offer this. Be logged in on your computer with your cable/content provider before you attempt to authenticate. Just in case there's an issue with the authentication process. If you're already logged in to your provider, then try the Roku part on a different tab, that might help.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
jefnef
Level 7

I deleted my Roku account, did a full factory reset, restarted the Roku as if it were brand new, built a new account, turned off every single default channel so that ESPN was the only channe, linked it to Armstrong, following every on-screen prompt exactly, got verification from Roku and Armstrong on every step in the process, got the "Success!" screen on both computer and television, clicked on the highlighted link for ESPN live stream, and got the "Playback Error Needs to Re-authenticate" error again. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jefnef" wrote:
I deleted my Roku account, did a full factory reset, restarted the Roku as if it were brand new, built a new account, turned off every single default channel so that ESPN was the only channe, linked it to Armstrong, following every on-screen prompt exactly, got verification from Roku and Armstrong on every step in the process, got the "Success!" screen on both computer and television, clicked on the highlighted link for ESPN live stream, and got the "Playback Error Needs to Re-authenticate" error again. 

That pretty much confirms that your cable provider isn't passing proper authentication information. You need to rattle their cage.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos