Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BKJP
Level 8

Re: HBO Max not launching on Roku Ultra (2020)

I strongly agree Muzikboy. I've found this whole experience, and Roku's response, to be really terrible. It's too bad, because they took what should have been wonderful news--HBO Max is now available on Roku!--and turned it into a real negative. While HBO Max is now working for me about 66% of the time, it still kicks me back to the home screen the other 33% of the time. Roku customer service is non-existent. And this is clearly a widespread issue. From my perspective, it would go a long way if they just came out and said something like: "We know that there is an ongoing glitch with the HBO Max channel. This is what we're doing to fix it...And this is when you can expect this issue to be solved..." Instead, they leave it up to totally overwhelmed and oftentimes clueless customer service reps to try to stumble through a solution that never quite gets you there. Why destroy all of the goodwill generated by adding HBO Max by flopping the rollout?

13 REPLIES 13\
grayjaso1
Level 10

After testing this on multiple 3810 sticks and a 3600 stick, it looks like the crashouts I encounter are when I 'enter' the HBO Max menu (too?) quickly by clicking my profile 'dot'.  Im guessing the size of the dataset  from HBO Max being loaded to the Roku devices is larger than most.  The data is probably loading behind the scenes from the moment the channel icon is clicked, and clicking quickly through to the HBO Max home screen sometimes might not allow enough of the dataset to 'cache' (?) on the Roku device without crashing or otherwise timing out.  When I waited a few extra seconds before I clicked the profile 'dot' with my name, it seemed to drop my crashes to zero. Maybe this allowed enough time to load the needed HBO Max data.  I actually run into a similar problem from time to time with the AppleTV app, which also has a larger dataset loaded to the Roku device.  Same issue?

RyanPm40
Level 9

This is probably more HBO's fault than Roku. It still has their old UI which they've since updated on Apple TV. I'm guessing they've been sitting on it since HBO Max first came out (they said they had an app ready to go from the beginning). They probably never kept up with updating it since they weren't sure if and when it would launch on Roku. Since no other app has this issue, I would be more angry with WarnerMedia if I were you. Roku didn't develop the app.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@RyanPm40 wrote:

This is probably more HBO's fault than Roku. It still has their old UI which they've since updated on Apple TV. I'm guessing they've been sitting on it since HBO Max first came out (they said they had an app ready to go from the beginning). They probably never kept up with updating it since they weren't sure if and when it would launch on Roku. Since no other app has this issue, I would be more angry with WarnerMedia if I were you. Roku didn't develop the app.

FWIW the Roku app and the FireTV/Android app are nearly identical in terms of functionality (aside from CC/privacy settings - common for all Roku platform apps) and version/build:

RokuOS:  50.7.334

FireTV/Android:  50.7.2.207

iOS:  50.8.0

Clearly the iOS app is slightly ahead in terms of version/build, but it did just update 2 days (12/16) to 50.8.0, whereas its last FireTV/Android update was 11/23 to 50.7.2.207.

If I had to guess, there will likely be updates to the Roku/Android apps early next week (in preparation for WW84 in all its HDR10/DV/Atmos/5.1 glory).

And yes, this is entirely WarnerMedia's responsibility - Roku doesn't control the HBO Max app's code - WarnerMedia does.  They could and should have been testing/updating the code the entire time via developer mode/tools (which anyone can do before/without publishing in the Roku Channel Store).

0 Kudos
Chelseyld
Level 7

I've tried everything on this list.  I finally came across your comment and waited just 5 or 10 extra seconds and my show played on the first try. 

0 Kudos
JimmyCra
Level 8

Try it again later .  See if you meet with the same success. Over the pass few days I’ve tried two to three dozen times.  I have met with success twice.  You may have just been lucky rather than having found a cure.

0 Kudos
Chelseyld
Level 7

I guess I should clarify because the comment didn't print in order.  After max loaded. I waited to select my profile dot for about 10 extra seconds or so.  I have been able to watch any show I've tried since waiting.  And also tried other log in attempts without issue.  I just give it a few extra seconds each time.  I can't say it's a fix but it's a minor thing to do and it's working for me so far. 

0 Kudos
Chelseyld
Level 7

I guess I should clarify because the comment didn't print in order.  After max loaded. I waited to select my profile dot for about 10 extra seconds or so.  I have been able to watch any show I've tried since waiting.  And also tried other log in attempts without issue.  I just give it a few extra seconds each time.  I can't say it's a fix but it's a minor thing to do and it's working for me so far.  Reloading apps and roku and those fixes did not help at all. 

0 Kudos
jeffws
Level 8

I have tried literally EVERY workaround recommended here, including the "solved" one. I tried waiting 15 seconds before choosing my (one and only) profile. I have updated Roku Ultra's OS, updated Max once, signed out, even cancelled subscription, uninstalled Max, turned of the Roku for a minute, restarted Roku, reinstalled and signed in to HBO Max. It actually seems to be crashing (upon signing in--not during streaming) even more often, sometimes it will load OK, then I'll go to TCM's hub and it crashes there. I have contacted Max support, they couldn't help, so they sent me an email to describe my problem. Maybe they will respond (the tech agent mistook my problem for crashing while streaming though I explained otherwise 3 times--not much trust in their ability)

Jeff
johnny3
Level 8

Use the _Roku_ search tool for the HBO Max movie/show of interest. That workaround has worked consistently for me. Starting up HBO Max directly persistently results in a crash after the user selection screen (as home screen loads in). Using the Roku search, I have successfully watched Wonder Woman, Batman v. Superman Ultimate Edition, Mars Attacks, Justice League, and an episode of the Harley Quinn show by picking the respective show to be played using the HBO Max channel. After watching something, you can hit the back button to get to the movie title screen, up to get to the search tool and find something else. The HBO Max search is extremely slow compared to Roku's, but seems to work. I haven't tried browsing using this approach yet. The tricky thing of course is you have to know what's available currently in HBO Max, but that's easily checked on recent websites. Hope this helps!