Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

ROku Exiting Netflix

For a long time, I have had difficulty getting my Roku to go into (or open up) my NETFLIX channel. I have dealt with it as best as possible, including different DNS as some suggested here. But one way I dealt with it was to NOT exit NETFLIX and go to the HOME SCREEN, unless I needed to go into a different channel.

For the past couple days, this has stopped working. Now when I leave it in NETFLIX and then go on the Roku many hours later, it has gone back to the HOME SCREEN.

Can anyone tell me how to get my ROKU to NOT exit from NETFLIX?
0 Kudos
75 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: ROku Exiting Netflix

Which Roku do you have? The going into the Netflix Channel issue I recall from the Streaming Stick was fixed AFAIK. How do you have it connected to Power? Any Power Outtages lately? Also, Roku will reboot if it gets updates.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

I have the 2, wifi and composite video (RCA Jacks). No power outage, I had that in the past and was aware that rebooted the Roku and left me in the HOME SCREEN.

No this time, I watch Netflix, finish a show, leave it in the show (for next episode), the most recent was overnight, and when I went to watch another show today, it was back at the HOME SCREEN.

I was wondering if they added (in a recent update), some kind of timeout that would send it back to the HOME SCREEN.
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

It actually did it again this afternoon. I finished a show about 1215 EDT, just now 1450 EDT went into the ROKU again and it is back on the darn HOME SCREEN. There has to be a way to stop this. It did not used to act like this!!!!!

Are there any settings in the NETFLIX CHANNEL that could be causing this?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Does it do this on any other channel?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Oh, and the new 7.1 software includes an "uptime" listing. Time since last reboot. Verify that.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

6 day & 21 hours.

And it says the ROKU is up to date on the s/w version.

I just tried to DISABLE the Roku Screen Saver to see if that helps.

But this was working fine until a couple days ago. I often left it in Netflix overnight and the next evening when we went to watch shows, it was still in NETFLIX.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Are you using another remote control near your Roku? Ever since version 7.0 (and never before that) my Roku (and others on this forum) responds to 3 different remotes I use (and only one is a universal, which is not set for Roku). Your remotes can be sending you back to the home screen (or worse, starting a new stream if you are in an app) without you being aware of it.

Also, reboot your Roku. Leaving it running for a week is not something I would do.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"QuiGonJohn" wrote:
6 day & 21 hours.

I just tried to DISABLE the Roku Screen Saver to see if that helps....

Still would be helpful to know if this behavior exists on any other channel. Check for that.

Screen savers may be the key. Don't just disable screensavers, but actually remove all but the stock three. Some do stuff in the background even if not active. At least, I've seen reports over the years, particularly about weather or newsfeed screensavers.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Level 7

I will test another channel, probably tomorrow before I can do that.

I never added any screensavers or backgrounds. I keep my Roku pretty much default. I don't even like the "seasonal themed backgrounds", just the default.
0 Kudos