Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteFromSD
Level 7

ROKU stops with a "Loading" message, then restarts, then stops again constantly.

I have had a Roku Premium device for about a week. I was very pleased, until about 2 days ago, when the feed suddenly stops, both audio and video, and displays a "loading" screen. It stays with the message for several seconds, or up to a minute, then returns to the proper program. It will be fine for a minute or two, but then it stops again with the "loading" message. There is status bar under the message, that sometimes turns orange, but not always.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: ROKU stops with a "Loading" message, then restarts, then stops again constantly.

Streaming data comes in over the internet.  Once enough data has arrive to be shown, plus enough data ahead to allow for a smooth display, the playback starts.  If the app runs out of already received data it has to stop and wait for more.  This is called "buffering".

Each channel app has its own display when buffering.  Some just say "Buffering", some say "Loading", some use a progress bar, some show a rotating circle, or some combination of these.

Sometimes this is caused by some temporary net congestion that quickly clears up.  Sometimes the server from which the channel is streaming is inadequate to handle the load on it and it can't keep up, although this is much less frequent than in the early days of streaming.  Sometimes the delivery from your local internet provider may be overloaded resulting in an abnormally low data transmission rate.  If you have a number of active devices all trying to download or stream a bunch of stuff at the same time you may be placing high demands on your system than can be delivered.

But when problems are confined to a particular channel, it could be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

When buffering occurs on several channels, it may be due to one of those external factors previously mentioned, but it may also indicate that the network connection on this particular device isn't quite right and needs to be reset. 

Here's what has worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Let us know how you make out.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
PeteFromSD
Level 7

Re: ROKU stops with a "Loading" message, then restarts, then stops again constantly.

Thanks for the reply. The problem seems to be associated with one channel in particular. But this one channel (NHK World) is the only reason I bought the Roku box to begin with, so I really want to see it working correctly. I manually removed the channel, restarted the Roku as you described, and re-loaded the channel. It seems to be a little better, but I still occasionally get the "loading" screen. After doing some Google searches, would it help in this case to manually adjust the download speed? That way the Roku will not try to pull in more data than the channel is capable of sending? Just a thought.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

One thing you could try on your Premiere is to set it to output a lower resolution screen to your TV, instead of your actual resolution or "Auto".   This could help if the NHK server then sends lower resolution data packets as this would use less bandwidth.  If they always send their maximum resolution and the Roku then down-converts before sending to your tv, this wouldn't help with the problem.

From your Roku home screen, Settings > Display type

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

This setting would then be in place for everything you try to view.  If it doesn't help, you can always set it back.

Let us know how you make out.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos