Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camry
Visitor

Channel Request: ROKU needs a Cycling Channel

I want a Cycling Channel. I know UCI has priced itself out of the poor man's market with its gazillion dollar franchise fee but there are plenty of semi-pro races, documentaries and films. I know at least one other person who also wants a Cycling Channel. So there must be some revenue possibility. I can't think of anything else to say. Cycling Channel. Get it done.

EDIT: Typed UCI, should be ASO.

12 REPLIES 12
twiceover
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU needs a Cycling Channel

Roku doesn't make apps. So talk to someone with the rights to the content you want to watch. Get it done.
Anonymous
Not applicable

"camry" wrote:
I want a Cycling Channel. I know UCI has priced itself out of the poor man's market with its gazillion dollar franchise fee but there are plenty of semi-pro races, documentaries and films. I know at least one other person who also wants a Cycling Channel. So there must be some revenue possibility. I can't think of anything else to say. Cycling Channel. Get it done.

NBC Sports Gold Cycling Pass?
https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/cycling
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"camry" wrote:

Ask the companies that make them for the other "boxes" (like Amazon Fire, Apple TV).. Roku doesn't make the channels, so the only way to get them made is to go to the people who provide the content and ask them.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
camry
Visitor

"richeydog" wrote:

Thanks richeydog, yeah that's the only USA outlet for the pro races. If I have to I will. But I am going to write an email to ASO and suggest to them they should offer a channel of their own for streaming customers. If they can earn a $5.99 subscription x 1 million viewers worldwide ... who knows. Worth a shot.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Visitor

"camry" wrote:
"richeydog" wrote:

Thanks richeydog, yeah that's the only USA outlet for the pro races. If I have to I will. But I am going to write an email to ASO and suggest to them they should offer a channel of their own for streaming customers. If they can earn a $5.99 subscription x 1 million viewers worldwide ... who knows. Worth a shot.

That will not help much since NBC Sports paid ASO for exclusive tv, digital, and mobile rights through 2023 for the US market. There is really only one option in the USA and that is NBC Sports.

You can do the NBC Sports Cycling Pass as a standalone streaming option or you can subscribe to a cycling addon such as the cycling package on the fubo.tv streaming service. (which again ties back into NBC Sports)

As a reference, ASO is charging roughly over $125 million for the TdF rights annually worldwide.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might check out Red Bulls channel, I only use it to watch surfing, so I'm really not sure if it ever carries cycling or not, but if any channel would have it, that would most likely be the one.
0 Kudos
Cinegurl
Visitor

I paid NBC Sports Gold for the cycling pass, it worked "fine" on my Roku TV (2016 Sharp model), UNTIL this January...when, see #4 below:
1. The subscription is from July > June
2. They reserve the right to NOT keep any races stored for future replays, whenever they want to
3. They deleted the Amgen Tour replays to repost the prior year's TDF - leaving me without access to the Amgen Tour for the current year
4. They just moved all the NBC Sports GOLD subscriptions to the plain "NBC Sports" channel - but the replays are NOT supported on ROKU!  I can only see the current month of races, NONE of the prior races and NBC "Support" blames it on ROKU. 
5. NBC does not give any allowance for their failure to fulfill their end of the deal = no month extension for failure to play and no refunds, ever, period.

There are website that stream cycling for free - just not replays, so you have to have a way to store that or watch live - search stream cycling = tiz-cycling.live - cyclingfans.com - cycling.today/category/live-streaming/ - steephill.tv - http://cyclingstream.com/ < this last one appears to have replays.
0 Kudos
dogenzenji
Visitor

"Cinegurl" wrote:
I paid NBC Sports Gold for the cycling pass, it worked "fine" on my Roku TV (2016 Sharp model), UNTIL this January...when, see #4 below:
4. They just moved all the NBC Sports GOLD subscriptions to the plain "NBC Sports" channel - but the replays are NOT supported on ROKU!  I can only see the current month of races, NONE of the prior races and NBC "Support" blames it on ROKU.

It's not very intuitive, but you can access all cycling replays up until the start of the last subscription, which begins in July for NBC Sports Gold.  First, you have to up arrow all the way to the top to the NBC Sports logo then click the Ok button...
Screenshot 1

Then select NBC Sports Gold using the right arrow...
Screenshot 2

Then you should be able to go back all the way to July to the start of last year's TDF...
Screenshot 3

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos

I am surprised not to find a cycling channel or app. Why?
0 Kudos