Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garden54
Level 7

ROKU & HD "NON SMART" TV

Can I cast to a HD televison that is not a "Smart TV" and if so, what programs are free of charge if I have a COMCAST app on my Apple Smart Phone?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andyross
Level 12

Re: ROKU & HD "NON SMART" TV

Do you mean cast to your Roku connected to your TV? Casting only works on devices that support Miracast. Many Android phones/tablets no longer support it, and only support Chromecast.

If you have a Roku connected to your TV, you don't need to cast from your phone. Just use the apps on the Roku. In fact, many TV apps block casting.

0 Kudos
garden54
Level 7

Perhaps I was not clear and did not mean “casting”.

For this older ROKU Model #3050X that I have not been using since the TV in question has a COMCAST/ XFINITY box. The TV connected is NOT a "smart TV".
If I return that COMCAST Box:

1- Can I use this ROKU Model #3050X to attach via an HDMI connection to the (non smart) TV, will it "worK' and what channels, if any can I get for free?; or:
2- Will this ROKU Model include  a COMCAST app on the screen once I attach it via HDMI cable?

If I cannot receive any free channels based on the above, can I do what I asked with the ROKU EXPRESS instead?

Please advise.

Paul M.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 12

You should still be able to use the Xfinity app. It's currently free, but Comcast has noted that when it comes out of "beta" testing, they may charge as if it was another cable box. I assume this is an extra box, and not the single one that is usually included with most packages.

I would try the Xfinity app on the Roku first to see if it works the way you want it to.

0 Kudos