Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krull
Level 7

ROKU Ruined Plex - URGENT ROLLBACK REQUIRED

Roku has recently installed a new AWFUL version of Plex on my Roku3

I did not ask or authorise this update

This update actually makes me break the law if I use it

I do NOT agree to any software licence or terms as this was installed without my permission.

People on the Plex forum are as livid as I am and are starting a petition, some posts are blaming Roku

I just bought  a new TV and got a Roku on sale if I bought the two together.

Now my feeling is to DUMP the ROKU's as it appears from forums online that ROKU IS NOT LISTENING and PLEX IS NOT LISTENING.

I will sell my Roku's on eBay before they I can't sell them for love or money

I will not stop there, I intent to start a social media and investor relations campaign.

I have never seen such disdain for a loyal user community, people are literally encouraging violence.

To be honest I understand it.

You can delete my post but I will be making it elsewhere on every forum I find that mention Roku, Plex or Streaming Sticks etc.

I would like to hear from Roku, I would like to hear that they are IMMEDIATELY extending support for the old Plex client on all Roku devices not just the unusable Roku2 

I would like to hear that Roku are going to help Plex provide a Plex Classic Client that can be used with the old interface and support old plugins for all those users (including disabled users) who have found their Plex RUINED by this update.

When ROKU does something like this is really shatters one's confidence in the brand.

I am devastated by this forced update, I feel violated and beaten, 

PLEASE RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM WITH ROKU AND PLEX NOW!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: ROKU Ruined Plex - URGENT ROLLBACK REQUIRED

Roku did not ruin Plex. Plex ruined Plex, if you consider the new version ruined. I don't care for the new version myself, as many others have also noted. But Plex is responsible for their channel on the Roku. 
The end user agreement you accepted when you set your Roku up grants them the ability to update your software automatically. In fact, there's no way to stop it without unplugging your Roku whenever it's not being used. Then you can decline a requested update. However, it's still possible that a channel gets updated on startup without your control. Really the only foolproof way to stop the auto-updates is to disconnect the network connection whenever it's not in use. That's annoying if it's a wired connection, and a real pain if wireless. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 8

"Krull" wrote:

People on the Plex forum are as livid as I am and are starting a petition, some posts are blaming Roku

I will not stop there, I intent to start a social media and investor relations campaign.

I have never seen such disdain for a loyal user community, people are literally encouraging violence.

You know, I hate it when some random guy on the internet tells me to "calm down", but you're gonna give yourself a heart attack, dude. This is literally a free software program for playing entertainment. It's not important or worthy of violence. Maybe you're just trying to get your point across, but your post makes you like literally insane. 

First off, Plex made this update. Plex controls the software on the Roku. Plex is 100% responsible for the look, feel, and functionality of the Plex client. Roku has no control here. 

Second, a petition isn't going to do anything. They never do, especially for a private company. No one cares about your petition. 

Third, you're about the ten thousandth person here to declare they're going to shame Roku and associated parties via social media. No one cares, it doesn't do anything, and it makes you look petty. 

Fourth, if this makes you feel "devastated", "beaten" or "violated", I recommend getting yourself to a psychologist immediately. Those are not appropriate emotions as a reaction to someone's free entertainment software no longer looking/acting like you want it to. 

Finally, there's nothing any of the users here can do about this, as we don't work for Plex. You can rant at them as well, but it likely won't do you any good. 
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

"Krull" wrote:

Roku did not do this, plex themselves did. a lot of people are now leaving plex for alternatives due to this decision.
I for one dropped plex for Emby. if the issue is the plex plugins you wont get those back on any of the clients that they dropped it on.
I feel plex just doesn't listen to their userbase and does whatever the !@#$ they please so I'm glad I didn't buy their lifetime premium like I originally planned,

I can tell you this much Emby gives you more now without premium than plex does.
I have also had less issue with finding my media properly without correcting emby than I ever did with plex.

plex did give an official answer to the disdain of their awful new client "when we released our previous client quite a few people said they hated the new look but eventually they grew to like it as with any change. we are not going to change back to the old look as this new look brings our clients in line with each other moving forward" I for one liked the previous look over the one before it and absolutely hate the new one. it is the same look they have in their windows desktop media player client TV mode and I refused to use it that way for that look. 

now to address the elephant in the room 
you getting mad at Roku for what Plex did is like getting mad at your mail man because your donut maker gave you bad donuts. it makes little sense to get mad at someone else for it. Roku is only responsible for the user interface of their player and the channels they make themselves. the channel makers do what they want as long as it is legal and doesn't violate Roku's ToS. with that said Plex didn't have to push that update on us the way they did. they could have just as easily pushed a new client to Roku and gave us a message with the one that existed that it would not receive any new updates and would eventually stop working with their server. but alas they didn't think of that 
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

"Krull" wrote:

I do NOT agree to any software licence or terms as this was installed without my permission.

I just bought  a new TV and got a Roku on sale if I bought the two together.

Now my feeling is to DUMP the ROKU's as it appears from forums online that ROKU IS NOT LISTENING and PLEX IS NOT LISTENING.

I will sell my Roku's on eBay before they I can't sell them for love or money

To be honest I understand it.

You can delete my post but I will be making it elsewhere on every forum I find that mention Roku, Plex or Streaming Sticks etc.

I would like to hear from Roku, I would like to hear that they are IMMEDIATELY extending support for the old Plex client on all Roku devices not just the unusable Roku2 

I would like to hear that Roku are going to help Plex provide a Plex Classic Client that can be used with the old interface and support old plugins for all those users (including disabled users) who have found their Plex RUINED by this update.

When ROKU does something like this is really shatters one's confidence in the brand.

Stop acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Calm down before posting a forum thread and you would realize you did agree to allow updates of channels when you signed in with your roku account. You accepted it so move on and sell your rokus. Do not need people like you on a platform who blame a company who never created the app (plex did).
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Also, Plex has been changing the apps on all Platforms. My LG got the change first, then the PS4. Android got one, too. Plex delayed the Roku's app changing a bit because they had to rebuild it to accommodate the new API. 

Also, if you installed Plex and started using the Roku Channel store, you actually accepted the agreement that Roku and Plex can update your apps. You just did not read it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Plex back-peddling at break-neck speed apparently unaware of User Hate with their 'New and Improved' UI Design:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/update-on-the- ... app/350644

Users have been telling them since one of these disasters rolled out how much they hated them. Plex ignored users confident they know more than silly users. Apparently enough 'silly users' started migrating to Emby with enough force to finally bore a message into the skull of management... yea, sounds good, but unlikely. Hard to tell exactly what the facts are, but the good news is that, at least temporarily, you can install the previous version Plex has now labeled 'Retro' and is offering as a 'Private Channel'. (it can run happily along side every other Plex disaster you may or may not have installed).

'Retro' will eventually (soon, no doubt) stop working, but Plex has high hopes of doing nearly nothing to the UI they seem to be in love with while users 'get used to it'. At least you won't have to deal with 'New and Improved' over the holidays. Any 'improvements' to 'new and improved' remain to be seen, but Plex is singing and dancing as a distraction to whatever is really going on behind the curtain.

Enjoy the show.

Incidentally,I suppose... one of the few things Roku Inc IS apparently responsible for is the cleaving of the 30 sec forward and 10 second back skip function. One of the single most used functions in a DVR/Media Player stripped, while users kick and scream:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-beta/299071/102

Yea, Roku Inc. WTF? While it appears Roku Inc isn't solely responsible for just plain dumb UI design - they helped with few dumb ideas of their own.
0 Kudos