Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrasto11
Level 7

ROKU Express Xfinity Stream Beta APP HD channels revert to STD channels. Why?

Jump to solution

I have 3 ROKU Express devices in my home installed/connected to 3 different HD TVs.  I use them to primarily stream Xfinity (COMCAST) high-def content via the Xfinity Beta Stream app.  I have used these devices for about 2 years and all has worked very well.   Recently however I am encountering strange behavior on all 3 TVs using these ROKU devices.  I will start viewing an Xfinity high-def TV station (say 805 - WCVB Boston).  All will go well until I start to channel surf using the mini-guide.  As I bounce back and forth which I often do, I might attempt to get back to say the 805 high-def station but instead I am presented with a substituted standard channel, channel 5, the non-high-def COMCAST WCVB station channel.  Once that switch occurs the first time, I am then unable to stream a high-def station.  All channels selected at that point revert to the non-high-def equivalent channel.  Very strange...  If I reset the Stream app I can start over again but it does not take long until the substitution starts again.  I have been all over looking at TV, Xfinity, and ROKU settings to see if I inadvertently changed something but I am unable to find a setting that might be set wrong.  Has anyone seen this sort of behavior.  A solution?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ROKU Express Xfinity Stream Beta APP HD channels revert to STD channels. Why?

Jump to solution

Hey @jrasto11

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Does the issue only occur within the Xfinity Beta Stream app? If yes, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can reach Xfinity Support here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ROKU Express Xfinity Stream Beta APP HD channels revert to STD channels. Why?

Jump to solution

Hey @jrasto11

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Does the issue only occur within the Xfinity Beta Stream app? If yes, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can reach Xfinity Support here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tmanga
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been experiencing the same issue. For example when I click on NFL network 169 HD it goes to channel 412 SD and this started happening last week 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Only Xfinity can assist with this app. They created it and provide support. I will note that even after years it's still labeled as a beta product. Comcast hasn't put a lot of effort into the app. Don't forget that they'd really rather rent you a cable box, instead of using something they don't receive any income from.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jrasto11
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
jrasto11
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, your issues sound very similar to those that I am experiencing.  I started seeing these issues over the past week or 2.  I will try to contact Xfinity support as suggested above.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
cartfan19
Level 7

Jump to solution

Lately I've noticed that when watching an HD channel, then going to another channel only to then use the Last Channel option, when I select the previous HD channel I had been watching...it takes me to the non-HD version of it.  Very odd.  The Last Channel list of channels says it's the HD channel, but when you click it, it goes to the non-HD one.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It sounds like you are referring to something occurring within a specific channel. What channel is that? Unless it's The Roku Channel, you need to contact the provider of the channel. Roku can't do anything about the functionality within a specific channel.

Dan

0 Kudos
cartfan19
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's every channel (HGTV, TBS, History, etc.), but using the Comcast/Xfinity app in Roku; suspect that's what you meant.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@cartfan19 wrote:

It's every channel (HGTV, TBS, History, etc.), but using the Comcast/Xfinity app in Roku; suspect that's what you meant.

OK, so you're referring to channels within the Comcast channel. That unfortunately can only be fixed by Comcast, and you'll have to work it out with them. 

Dan

0 Kudos