Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hecramsey2
Level 7

RMP issue

Roku Premiere> Roku Media Player>Universal Media Player> local files on windows 10

When playing local video files (of any type) I cannot select an audio track (options set to default and greyed out)

Cannot Fast Forward, Pause or Rewind.

Is this expected, and good god why?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: RMP issue

I don't know what you mean by Universal Media Player. You also didn't say what Roku device you have.

You are using a DLNA server to provide the media. How it streams the video has an impact on the functionality of Roku Media Player. If transcoding is being performed, trick play (FF/RWD/RESUME) might not be available. Why you can't pause, I have no idea. I can pause mine without a problem.

So, what are you using as your DLNA server? If it's what is built into Windows 10, it's a poor server compared to so many other products available. Both Plex and Emby offer a DLNA server and a Roku channel that provides a good user experience. My preference is using Serviio, and using RMP as the player on the Roku. I created the profiles used by Serviio for Roku devices, so there are some good matches for supporting your media and the Roku devices. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TimAstro
Level 7

Good luck with getting the issues with RMP resolved.

I have the same issue with two different manufactured TVs with Roku system.  I called both companies and they both said to refer to Roku.  One company confirmed that Roku is on its way out and their company is in the process of designing a way to replace the Roku system for their customer's older TVs so they don't have to replace the TV due to a defunct operating system.

Their forums are locked and if you have noticed, no support phone numbers or online support.  The drop-downs for symptoms in support go nowhere.

You can try this method to repair the RMP.  Remove the RMP app by pressing the Star * key while the icon is selected then reinstall the player (Roku Media Player) via search.  That used to work.

This Fwd Pause/Play Rwd has been an issue as far back as 2015.

I would suggest looking at the Plex Media server and the App for Roku.  Or you can hook up something that you can load your videos onto and hook it up to the HDMI.   Almost like what they called HTPC (Home Theatre PC) years ago.  So much for what they call a Smart TV that we purchased.   Quite dumb now without access to your own video that you can control.  It is not just a DLNA issue but just a poor app design.   
Sadly, all I can say is good luck with that player issue.  As for myself, I am building a small Media Player to plug into the HDMI port using a Raspberry Pi. 

AlexR
Level 7

I have the same issue on my new Roku Ultra. Some videos can, some can not  Funny thing is you can use voice control to do it. But it is really annoying, especially for fast forward. I'm returning it.

0 Kudos
TimAstro
Level 7

I have spoken to TCL and they claim there have been various Roku OS complaints which include the RMP thus their decision to go to Android on their newer TV models probably in the first or second quarter of 2021.  There is no excuse for the lack of support from Roku over the years even before Covid.
Yes, Covid is not helping any major or small companies.  Roku support can work from home as many major companies are doing and successfully doing so.  Again, there should be no excuses. 
So as this sits, there are no fixes for the RMP to date.

@renojim 
If you have nothing intelligent to contribute keep your comments to yourself and stick to your RPGs.  

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

@TimAstro, what in the world are you talking about?  I don't believe I've ever commented on RMP as I've never used it.  And RPG?  I don't think so!

0 Kudos