Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
savvy2
Level 7

RMP fails FF (and RWind) ROKU3 (4230x1)

Ruki 3, fails  i guess i must toss it like the even older one i have and buy the Ultra 4K? on my wild guess RMP are not all the same if newest one, loaded.
100 mkv files, on newest serviio fails for FF only (fine tuned now for 2 years not a fresh load, but kept upgraded, even with today's, newest FFmpeg.exe (nightly  build added) N91991.
this last change got subtitles working with RMP (wow) first ever, no more exporting 100 srt files. just to get them going.

from DVD to to mkv
all with newest freshest versions of
MAKEMKV
or Handbrake, fails, even nightly builds.
nothing else fails, ever, be it netflix app, hulu or vudu,
no wifi here 100% gigalan and 200mbs/ to ISP, on 16 channel modem. no lags ever, here.

Serviio is on a large HP Raid server,  with backup servers.... all enterprise  grade, end to end. here. DL380s.
what I wish for , is for FF to work with RMP, and have tried  vast numbers of ways  to video edit the files to make RMP happy to no end.
Transcoding is off,
I have even done MKV to MP4 conversions and they too fail to FF.

presets on handbrake MKV  to MKV, tried, I tried all 720p versions. (the source is that so did  that)

in every case, VLC works direct.

are there other apps that work that can be loaded to ROKU3, for local served mkv?
I see lots of things in the store at my account but , none seem to match up. to local RPM like usage.
thanks for looking and helping !!!!

PS shame on me
servio>>>lan>>>>Roku3>>>receiver kenwood>>>>>LG 55" TV smart.
i have not tried bypassing kenwood yet , will soon.
ok direct fails too. 5 mkv tried,
0 Kudos
12 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: RMP fails FF (and RWind) ROKU3 (4230x1)

According to RokuDale, RMP is only the front end, and the actual playback is handled by the Roku firmware. So no, I don't think RMP on mine differs at all from yours. If you don't need 4K, you could always go with the latest Streaming Stick, plug it directly into the back of your AVR, and go from there. But yes, the Ultra should be fine as well, if you want to future-proof yourself for an eventual move to 4K. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7

thanks.
I will not  use wifi, we have it but use it only for backup links, say cell phones.
wired is best, crowded wifi not good.  My home has gigalan jacks in every room, some .
I will keep testing, and by a ultra soon, or switch to plex.  what ever works but no FF is no good at all.

"playback is handled by the Roku firmware,"
so  firmware never gets updated, ?
Roku3 is no relic, yet, is it? (I know it gets auto updates but to what, what parts do, base firmware and apps or just front end apps)>?
thanks for helping,  regards  and best wishes to all , here,  It is a great product,  using netflix , vudo and hulu, all 3 run perfectly, unlike the 2 TVs nor to new blueray boxes all fail. for apps using protocols too old.  That is what makes ROKU so great,  (like timex watch)
0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7

thanks.
I will not  use wifi, we have it but use it only for backup links, say cell phones.
wired is best, crowded wifi not good.  My home has gigalan jacks in every room, some .
I will keep testing, and buy a ultra soon, or switch to plex.  what ever works but no FF is no good at all.
I will test plex on my spare server next.  see what happens.

"playback is handled by the Roku firmware,"
so  firmware never gets updated, ?
Roku3 is no relic, yet, is it? (I know it gets auto updates but to what, what parts do, base firmware and apps or just front end apps)>?
thanks for helping,  regards  and best wishes to all , here,  It is a great product,  using netflix , vudo and hulu, all 3 run perfectly, unlike the 2 TVs nor to new blueray boxes all fail. for apps using protocols too old.  That is what makes ROKU so great,  (like timex watch)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yes, Roku updates their firmware all the time. But different model players might have variations in the firmware. The Roku TVs have different firmware than the players, because they all have to handle MPEG2 video. To my knowledge, the Ultra is the only non-TV Roku that can play MPEG2 video. Older players like my ancient 2 XS, and perhaps to an extent your 3, can't handle some of the latest channels because of slower, less powerful hardware. 
However, your Roku 3 has a  CPU with similar power to my Stick, and the Stick works fine with everything I use it for. Since I generally only use it when traveling, I of course am not using RMP. But the times I have connected it to my home network it performed as well as my Roku 4, and almost as good as my Ultra. And it's far better than the little Insignia Roku TV I have. Your Roku 3 was introduced in April 2015. I wouldn't call it over the hill, but it certainly doesn't equal what the latest models can offer. 
EDIT: I just looked up the specs on the Roku 3, and yours is only a dual-core processor, while my Stick, even though it's the same speed, is a quad-code. That alone would want me to update, but then I'm just a geek anyway! 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7

thanks ATC
ok, on my spare backup server installed, with new Plex , and copied my first (servii failed) mkv that loves to fail FF and has huge front ended, credits 10min long. a worst case movie.
and I can play it and even do 3x FF, using RUKU3's, PLEX app.  but the Roku RMP cant find plex but I expected that.  (the Plex app mandates, plex logins too)
so I have not proved much only that the file mkv  works,
the plex browser interface works too, url, address::32400,.  does forward too. 30sec forward, 10 back,
I might pop for the 4k,? Roku.
I am not pointing fingers, after all this is not simple tech. (codec galore and all) Just curious why?

ok more later as I do more tests.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Not certain if Plex enables DLNA by default when installed. BUt when it is enabled RMP will see it. For some people Plex is the solution for their home viewing. For me, RMP works better. Personal preference and all that. So use what works best for you. If you need assistance with Serviio, mosey over to their forum and there are a number of people besides me that can help you out. Smiley Very Happy
Dan
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... ind-issue/

Same issue, solved by remux.

Also, the streaming stick+ is confirmed to support mpeg2 too, as well as xvid/divx(h263) and more.
0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7

no FF.  RMP, and Serviio.
so here is what works and does not, after extensive tests and completed, yet.

• delete subtitles inside the mkv file. and FF work fully.   

• if you go to 2channel audio, and subtitles it works as one. good.

• if switch to 5.1 channel DD. it fails to FF. now matter what you or change in the handbrake box under Codec 5.1  the 16 item list there, FF is dead.   (subs or no subs fails)
my guess is a  5.1 to subtitle sync issue? IDK
Trying all permutations of sound channels and substitles. to see what works and not for FF.
and soon testing Roku Ultra 4k. in the mail to see if it is smarter than the average bear, FF wise.
the source MKV, shows 5.1 is DD.  AC3, so tried all things in the list for sure AC3 and AAC and same names with or without , pass through.  ( avoided DTS or HD )
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

How is the Serviio console configured for subtitles? If you have the box checked to Enable Burned In Subtitles, then you will always transcode and FF will never work. To burn in captions requires the video to be transcoded. Personally I have little luck getting captions to work with my Roku players, either embedded or external SRT files. So don't count on caption support with your Roku player, unless you burn in the subs. 
Dan
0 Kudos