Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yort
Level 7

RMP HDD Indexing

I have a 6TB hard drive connected to my Roku tv. It has thousands of files and it takes several minutes for Roku to open the drive in RMP. Is there a way to turn the indexing off? There's no need to index the hard drive every time I access it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: RMP HDD Indexing

I doubt it. Since RMP has no ability to store a file index between usage, it has to run through the content each time. The only solution I can suggest is to instead use a DLNA server and connect the hard drive to it. The server will maintain an index of the hard drive, and when RMP connects to the server all it has to pull up is a list from the index. Mine will load all of my titles in seconds (over 1000 titles). The added advantage of a DLNA server on your home network is that the media becomes available to other devices as well. You can't do that with a Roku player. But a Blu Ray player, a smart TV, or other network media player will see your server, and allow streaming to multiple devices at once.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

RMP does not index the entire hard drive when accessing it. It only indexes the folder you are entering. From your description it appears you have thousands of files in a single directory, probably at the top level. It needs to get a list of the directory contents in order to show you what is in there. It will read the headers of photos and music but does not read the headers of video files.
If you don't want it to go through thousands of files in a single folder it would be best to split the files up into multiple folders. Or if you have a mix of photos, music, and videos in a single folder, segregate them into three folders, one for each type of media. And then you may still need to create subfolders.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
yort
Level 7

Ok. Thanks for your replies.
0 Kudos