Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

Questions About Viewing Channels

Hello,
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but do Roku devices allow you to simply flip through TV channels as you would do with a cable box? Meaning; are the channels playing as I flip through them? You know, as they do with a regular cable box. LOL I am sorry, I have no experience with these devices. Looking to possibly ditch paying the monthly fee for my cable box by using a Roku instead.

Thank you very much!
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: Questions About Viewing Channels

While there are some apps, such as Sling TV and several others, that are usually viewed much like over the air TV the vast majority of content that can be viewed through various Roku apps is of the "on demand" type like you find on Netflix or Hulu or that kind of app.

That is you browse for what you want to watch and when you find something you watch it.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

No not really.  The "Channels" as Roku calls them are really just Apps.  This may be confusing terminology.  If you want a cable box like experience, the closest you are going to get would be an app like Sling TV, Playstation Vue, Philo, Etc.  Check them out.
0 Kudos
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

Thank you two very much. I see that there is an Xfinity Stream Beta app, but not sure how it works.
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"GEORGIA DAWG" wrote:
Thank you two very much. I see that there is an Xfinity Stream Beta app, but not sure how it works.

You need XFinity cable service to use it I believe.  It is just a replacement for their cable boxes.  Lots of the "Channels" you see like "NBC", "TBS", etc require a cable subscription to log into them.  Some of them can be logged into using a streaming service such as Sling and others mentioned above.
0 Kudos
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
"GEORGIA DAWG" wrote:

You need XFinity cable service to use it I believe.  It is just a replacement for their cable boxes.  Lots of the "Channels" you see like "NBC", "TBS", etc require a cable subscription to log into them.  Some of them can be logged into using a streaming service such as Sling and others mentioned above.

Thanks. Yes, I am paying for cable TV, just looking at possibly using a Roku to watch my channels. This way I wouldn't have to rent their cable box and be able to shave a little of the cost off of my bill.. 
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I've had Sling, Playstation Vue, Directv Now and YouTube tv and none played the channels as you scroll through them, you stayed on your current selection until you chose another.
0 Kudos