Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mass55th
Reel Rookie

Question about .srt files on USB stick using Roku Media Player Channel

I have checked the instructions on using .srt files with videos using a USB stick on the Roku Media Player Channel, and I'm a bit confused as they are not all that clear.  I realize that embedded subtitles will more than likely play, but embedding the .srt files onto an .mkv movie file on Wondershare's video converter app takes over an hour, and triples the size of the file. It's not worth the time or effort.  I am wondering specifically about being able to use a separate .srt file, in the same folder as an .mkv movie, and why the Roku Media Player Channel does not identify them. According to the instructions below, the .srt files must be saved in the same folder as the video, and they must have the same name as the video, with the .srt extension. I've tried those exact directions, and the media player does not recognize the subtitle file. I've tried adding the movie.eng.srt to the .srt file, and that hasn't worked. I tried adding the movie.eng. extension to the movie file, and that didn't work either. Every different step I've tried, the subtitle * option tells me that captions aren't available, even though they are sitting in the same folder as the movie on the USB stick the media player is reading. Why is it that VLC Media Player can play an .srt file in a movie folder on my laptop, but Roku Media Player cannot find the same .srt file in the same folder on a USB stick? Am I trying to do something that isn't possible with the Roku Media Player Channel? The way the instructions are written below, makes one think it can be done, but so far nothing has worked, and I've tried it on my Roku Ultra using the USB stick, but it won't recognize the .srt files either. Can someone please give me a simple answer whether or not the process I've explained will, or won't work on the Roku Media Player Channel?  I have the "Captions always on" option set on both Roku remotes. 

Roku Media Player supports embedded subtitles in .mkv files. To choose a subtitle track use the Star button star button on your Roku remote while the video is playing. If you have a Roku TV, you also need to select Accessibility. Roku Media Player will automatically include subtitle tracks found in .SRT and .VTT files. The files must be saved in the same folder as the video. They must have the same name as the video and the .srt or .vtt extension. To include multiple files you must insert a language extension, for example movie.eng.srt or movie.ger.srt.

16 REPLIES 16
isvaloy

Re: Question about .srt files on USB stick using Roku Media Player Channel

Hello, I would like to know how you can play videos on my TCL Roku tv from a usb and take the subtitles that I have in the same folder as the video.
I would really appreciate it if you could help me to fully use my tv.
Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
mass55th
Reel Rookie

I asked the same question, and never got an answer, so I gave up seeking any help here. I never was able to solve the problem. Sorry.

isvaloy

Thanks for the prompt response. It is a pity that such a good TV has this problem because the most logical thing is that it read the subtitles that are in the same folder and with the same name as the video, I never saw anything like this.
Thanks and regards

Goranku
Channel Surfer

This is actually working good form, i just name them the same as the video file is named. Just go in settings, and turn on subtitles so they are on all the time. My question now is how can i adjust the time on subtitles if they go too fast or too slow. If you know what i mean

0 Kudos
mass55th
Reel Rookie

I already tried that prior to posting the question. It didn't work, and gave up. I don't use Roku's media player any longer. It's not worth it. I simply watch my videos on my laptop using VLC, which is a far better media player anyway. 

Goranku
Channel Surfer

That sucks. Did you try formating your usb stick to a different type of files? Or maybe get another channel to watch usb. I think there is one called MyUSB. Works on both for me. I have a Sannyo tv though. Not sure if that makes a difference

0 Kudos
mass55th
Reel Rookie

No, and I wouldn't know how to do that anyway. I'm not going to jump through hoops in order to view videos with subtitles from a USB stick via Roku. The Roku media player doesn't play all video formats either, which is another drawback, so it's useless to me. Thanks anyway.

Goranku
Channel Surfer

I get the frustration. I would be frustrated as well. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Goranku wrote:

This is actually working good form, i just name them the same as the video file is named. Just go in settings, and turn on subtitles so they are on all the time. My question now is how can i adjust the time on subtitles if they go too fast or too slow. If you know what i mean

Timing is contained within the SRT file itself.  You can use something like Subtitle Edit to edit the files.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos