Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iodine
Binge Watcher

Problem with This Old House app

A few weeks ago my This Old House app stopped working on all of my Roku devices. It just hangs when trying to start the app. The only thing you can do is return to home using the home key. I tried de-installing, reinstalling, rebooting, etc. without success.

I then factory reset one of my devices, and set it back up by logging in using my Roku login. This process re-installed all my apps at which point This Old House continued to fail.

I then factory reset again, only this time I set the device up under a brand new email address/Roku account. A manual re-install of the This Old House app then allowed the app to start up and function properly.

So it appears that my Roku account is holding onto some data that prevents This Old House from running and it gets re-installed even after a factory reset. How do I reset the app so as to clear this data out?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Problem with This Old House app

Hi @iodine

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur on The Old House app or across other channels installed on your Roku devices? 

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

I absolutely did the restart between de-install and re-install. In fact if you read my original post I did a factory reset on the device one time as well. It still fails when I re-install while logged into the Roku with my real Roku account. That is why I believe the bad data that is preventing the app from running is being saved in my Roku account and because I already "own" the app it re-installs it along side the app during installation.

Like I said before if I factory reset, then set the Roku up using a different Roku account I dont have the problem. I don't think I should have to take such a drastic step to fix what seems like a small issue.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@iodine

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

The channel developer themselves maintains channels on Roku. We suggest reaching out to This Old House's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

I have reached out to the owner of the channel. However, if my theory on this issue is correct in that there is data being saved in my Roku account related to the channel that gets reloaded when I re-install the channel that then causes the channel to break I would suggest that is a problem for the Roku OS. I should have a way to disassociate my Roku account from the channels that I have previously installed and remove all traces of it.

0 Kudos
mstnggt66

I am having this same problem.  Has a solution been found?

0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

I have an open issue with TOH, but so far their service has sucked. I got a reply 3 weeks ago that my problem had been referred to a senior support rep. but that person has not replied to any of my inquires.

0 Kudos
JermFive
Channel Surfer

@iodine @mstnggt66 @RokuKariza-D @Rewilley 

I too have this problem since early September and have yet to receive any kind of resolution from Toh or roku. ToH has just stopped responding. They communicated to me via email about a month ago that they had released a new version of the app to fix the problem, but the Roku store still shows a Jan 2021 version. 

Has anyone figured out a resolution for this short of the drastic steps @iodine mentioned? I also tried a factory reset with the same results.

0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

I have not heard from TOH support in over a month. I reported this issue to them 3 months ago. In 3 months Tom and Charlie Silva could have built an entire house. The support is beyond bad.

The irony here is that every time they send me a list of the benefits of being an TOH insider among them  is the discount I can get on Roku products. What a joke.

0 Kudos
JermFive
Channel Surfer

@iodine 

Same experience here. Agreed, beyond bad customer service. Disappointing on so many levels. 

Interesting to note...today my internet was out for a while and I decided to see what the ToH app would do. It went to the splash screen, like usual, but then after a few seconds it displayed a blue message screen that said, (I'm paraphrasing) "we're having trouble contacting the server, try again later.". So that tells me normally it is reaching their servers in some way. 

0 Kudos