Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prickard
Level 7

Problem with ROKU

I woke up this morning and I am having some serious problems with my youtube channel on roku.  I have a ROKU3 player.  Instead of getting a roku logo, I got a black screen.  Only when I hit the play button did the list of videos show up. Like many times before, I deleted my youtube channel and added on.  However, this time I was unable to sign in.   On my TV, I go to sign in and it tell me to sing in on my computer then enter a code, so I log out of my google account on my computer and enter, youtube.com/activate.   enter the code and it just keeps spinning endlessly.  I sign into my google account on my computer and I don't get the option to enter the code.  I've never had probems this bad with youtube.  Can I please get some assistance, this is very frustrating as there ALWAYS seems to be a problem with youtube on ROKU.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

Re: Problem with ROKU

"prickard" wrote:
I woke up this morning and I am having some serious problems with my youtube channel on roku.  I have a ROKU3 player.  Instead of getting a roku logo, I got a black screen.  Only when I hit the play button did the list of videos show up. Like many times before, I deleted my youtube channel and added on.  However, this time I was unable to sign in.   On my TV, I go to sign in and it tell me to sing in on my computer then enter a code, so I log out of my google account on my computer and enter, youtube.com/activate.   enter the code and it just keeps spinning endlessly.  I sign into my google account on my computer and I don't get the option to enter the code.  I've never had probems this bad with youtube.  Can I please get some assistance, this is very frustrating as there ALWAYS seems to be a problem with youtube on ROKU.

Couple of observations. "A black screen and a list of videos" sounds like you were already in the YouTube app. That is, you left the YouTube app on the screen when you stopped, rather than exiting to the home screen. That would be expected behavior, except that Roku has, for several months, exited apps to the home screen around 2 hours after leaving an app idle. That may be one issue.

The other issue appears to be your inability to get YouTube to accept your login. What I'm not seeing in your description is critical. You said you removed and re-added YouTube. I don't see that you a) removed YouTube, b) rebooted the Roku, and then c) re-added YouTube. That's the proper procedure. Try that.

Also, on your computer, remove all YouTube and Google cookies and Local Storage before attempting to log in to YouTube.

Unless Google is having authentication issues -- which I'm not seeing a bunch of reports about, so that's unlikely -- you should be able to log in and authenticate YouTube on your computer and Roku.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos