Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
funkymist
Level 7

Re: Private SpeedTest Channel ..... what happened?

I too was disappointed to learn that the speed test was no longer available as a Roku channel any longer. 

FWIW, here's a link to the Roku Guide with a bit more (and a wee bit at that) on the story: https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/speed-test
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

"funkymist" wrote:
I too was disappointed to learn that the speed test was no longer available as a Roku channel any longer. 

FWIW, here's a link to the Roku Guide with a bit more (and a wee bit at that) on the story: https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/speed-test

From that website and exactly why it useful, If not a requirement to have.  [Netflix has a speed test but it takes about 5-7 clicks to get to it]

"If you're experiencing poor video quality or frequent pauses to rebuffer on your Roku across all channels, the first thing to check is your Internet connection speed"
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

It was a useful app/channel is it dead and gone forever?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

My guess, and that's all it is since Roku has told me NOTHING, is that Roku may be working on their own method (channel or menu option) for performing a speed test. They approached me in the past to get my code, but I declined.

-JT
0 Kudos
Pompey
Level 7

This is perhaps a consequence of the hyper-vetting of the private channel marketplace that began in earnest after the Roku IPO.  It's understandable, given the sleazy, piratical nature of some of the content scraping that was occurring among some of the private channels.  This stuff was barely skirting copyright law.  Heck, now that Roku is public, they have to be more diligent in this regard, as they might have legal exposure to lawsuits. They don't want the SEC and the FTC after them.  In your case, JT, it's probably one of those false positives that will happen when there is rigorous testing.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
cosmoxl
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
My guess, and that's all it is since Roku has told me NOTHING, is that Roku may be working on their own method (channel or menu option) for performing a speed test.  They approached me in the past to get my code, but I declined.

-JT

They already do one if you go to network settings and ask it to check your connection.  If you have a router that shows usage, you can see that the roku does a speed test.  It doesn't give you the results, but only says something like "connection check was successful".  I just did it and the roku downloaded at 90mbit/s for a few seconds according to my router.
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

Today, for example, i am watching a Youtube live broadcast [FFRC] via a 4K TV
The picture was extremely blurry.
I went to Speedtest, than remembered it was out of service.

About 10-15 minutes later, the live broadcast was clear again on my 4k tv
I dont know if the Live broadcast had issues, which happens, OR my internet speed was down, which happens.
The Speed test would say in 2 clicks
0 Kudos
aaronwt
Level 8

Well this sucks!!!
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

any news on this, or is it gone for good?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

No news yet, but I'm not holding out much hope.

-JT
0 Kudos