Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pompey
Level 7

Private SpeedTest Channel ..... what happened?

I see that the private SpeedTest channel updated today, and now it no longer functions. It shows as an "out of service" channel.  Has it been "delisted"  or "decertified?" Did it somehow violate developer terms of service, or did it represent a security vulnerability to Roku?  All I know is, I liked using it for quickie, non-technical checks of my ISP performance.

"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
24 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Private SpeedTest Channel ..... what happened?

Speedtest probably made a change on their end (API), and broke the app. Just a guess.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I just tried it with the same result. Hopefully it will be updated to work again, even though it never gave me a true measure of my actual Internet speed. It was still nice to confirm that the Roku was getting sufficient bandwidth. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

"Pompey" wrote:
I see that the private SpeedTest channel updated today...

Hmm... I certainly didn't update it.  What version number does it show when you highlight the channel on the main screen and press the asterisk button?

-JT
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

If you update with the Update My Channels...it said channel updated & disabled...or out of service...something along those lines.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
Pompey
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:

Hmm... I certainly didn't update it.  What version number does it show when you highlight the channel on the main screen and press the asterisk button?

-JT

It displays version 1.0, build 103.  Roku advised me that the channel updated when I forced a manual update check.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

Was going to post  a thread on the lost of the channel the Speed Test Channel 

Cant say it strong enough: That channel has been extremely helpful in diagnosing  and keeping track of internet speeds and Roku.  
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

This is all very disturbing.  I know Roku has been doing a "review of open publisher accounts".  I wonder if they're mucking with old private channels.

I don't believe I've ever had a v1.0 build 103.  All my channels either start with build 1 and increments by 1 for each release and is reset with every version increment (and never gets to 103) or use a build number that matches the date I published the update.  The latest version should be v2.10 build 20161119.

I'll try to re-upload a package, but Roku is going out of their way to make things a PITA for developers and I'm not even sure it will be possible.  Everyday I hate Roku a little more!  :evil:

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I have version 1.0 build 103 on all of my boxes. It doesn't appear that they update with other channels. I wonder if you uninstall and reinstall you would get V2.1 like you have. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

It appears they replaced my package with a generic "Out of Service" package.  I am unable to replace it, but whether that's because they took down the channel for some reason or implemented a new hoop to jump through I just don't know.  If they took the channel down for a reason you'd think they'd have the courtesy to notify me, but they choose to treat their developers (and customers, for that matter) like mushrooms.

-JT
0 Kudos