Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Prime Video displays bad video

Jump to solution

Prime Video display shows multiple overlapping and blurry displays.  Other apps work fine.  Prime video over another Internet Provider displays correctly.

Steps taken so far

1.  Reloaded Prime Video App -- problem remains
2.  Tested on several Roku Sticks and TVs -- problem remains on all sets
3.  Rebooted TVs and sticks -- problem remains
4.  Rebooted cable modem (Spectrum) and router -- problem remains
5.  Tested with different TV and Roku Express over DSL (Ziply) at another house -- works

I want to blame Spectrum but I'm not sure I've done everything.  Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Prime Video displays bad video

Jump to solution

I had the same problem on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I went to Roku settings and did a restart and it cleared the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Additional data point -- Prime video used to work correctly and this behavior started overnight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

I watched some Prime using my Ultra 4640 yesterday, and did not encounter any issues. The fact that you have seen it on multiple devices rule out a device issue.

It might seem unlikely, but I did encounter something similar with Netflix on my Roku players several years ago. I could seldom get resolution higher than DVD (540), and sometimes it was worse that VHS (240). I could never get 4K (2160) and 1080 was a rarity. After a complaint to my ISP went nowhere, I filed a complaint with my state AG's office, and my ISP finally investigated. They finally figured out that somewhere out on the Internet someone/thing was throttling Netflix to various locations, and mine was one that was captured. It finally went away a couple of months later, and because it was outside my ISP's firewall they couldn't trace the source any further. 

Remember that providers like Netflix and Amazon stream to different devices from different server farms, so one brand of player might have problems while another works fine from the same network. So it's certainly possible it was just something wrong at the Amazon end. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yet one more data point.  One of my TV's is a Vizio Smartcast TV.  It supports Amazon Prime and it works just fine.  Now I am thoroughly confused.

1.  Prime Video is the only app that fails.
2.  It fails on all TVs and Rokus on my network.
3.  Prime Video app works on Vizio Smartcast on my network
4,  Prime Video on Roku works on my alternate network.

Very strange.  I don't know what to think.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@mjhatten wrote:

Yet one more data point.  One of my TV's is a Vizio Smartcast TV.  It supports Amazon Prime and it works just fine.  Now I am thoroughly confused.

1.  Prime Video is the only app that fails.
2.  It fails on all TVs and Rokus on my network.
3.  Prime Video app works on Vizio Smartcast on my network
4,  Prime Video on Roku works on my alternate network.

Very strange.  I don't know what to think.

That does point even stronger to the problem being at Amazon's end. The Vizio is probably connecting to a different server farm, and your Roku using an alternate network is also likely hitting a different server farm. Your alternate network (I'm assuming a phone hotspot) could be connecting to the Internet from a connection a long way away from your home ISP, and that could be triggering a different server farm. It also pretty much eliminates the Roku from being the problem. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks, ATC

Agree,  I reported it through Amazon.  Let's see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had the same problem on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I went to Roku settings and did a restart and it cleared the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos