Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanMan14
Level 7

Prime Video added to the Roku Canada channel store

Finally - never thought the day would come.  I have both US and Canadian Roku accounts as I travel between the two.

That was the good news.  The bad news is that unlike Netflix and just about everything else, it doesn't seem to do region specific content.  Instead lists the US content and then gives an out of area/region error when trying to play.

Oh well.... baby steps I guess.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CanMan14
Level 7

Re: Prime Video added to the Roku Canada channel store

Oh and for clarity, when I said I have both, what I meant is that I have US Roku's at my US residence with a US based Roku account.  And similarly in Canada, a Canadian bought Roku with a Canadian based Roku account (a different one obviously).  No geo-spoofing or anything non-legit.

The Prime Video channel only just became available for installation from the Canadian based Roku channel store.  But still gives a US Prime Video library when it does load.  Unlike the PS4 which shows a Canadian Prime Video library in its app.

So I'll see if that gets sorted in time......
0 Kudos
CanMan14
Level 7

Re: Prime Video added to the Roku Canada channel store

Final update for tonight.... I think I have the issue solved and the answer is that it's device specific.

When I first posted I was using an old Roku 2 XS (maybe?).  It allowed the Prime Video app to be installed from the Canadian Channel Store but shows a US catalog within the app.  But the app interface looked a little more basic than what I'm used to in the US.

A newer Roku 3 (also in Canada) has the more advanced UI of the Prime App and is properly geo-selecting the Canadian Amazon content/catalog.  So not a problem with the newer Rokus in Canada.  They seem to be working well and showing Prime Video Canada content.  Issue seems to only be with fairly old devices loading a more basic version of the Prime Video app which is not properly geo-selecting content.

Mystery solved.  Bottom line: yay for Canada.  Finally Amazon Prime Video on the Roku in Canada as long as your Roku isn't a relic.
0 Kudos