Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guitarboy
Level 8

Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

The Prime Video app is not playing forced subtitles (subtitles for foreign language audio in English programs).  Anyone else seeing this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?  I'm able to turn on close captioning but that's not a solution. I just want subtitles when the language isn't English.

When I watch the same programs on the iPad app or in a browser the forced subtitles automatically appear, so I know they're there.  The issue seems to be confined to the Roku app.
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

"guitarboy" wrote:
The Prime Video app is not playing forced subtitles (subtitles for foreign language audio in English programs).  Anyone else seeing this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?  I'm able to turn on close captioning but that's not a solution. I just want subtitles when the language isn't English.

When I watch the same programs on the iPad app or in a browser the forced subtitles automatically appear, so I know they're there.  The issue seems to be confined to the Roku app.

What Title and Timestamp?
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 8

Here are 2: Jack Ryan Ep. 1 12:30, The Widow Ep. 1 first scene. Watch on  an  iPad or in a browser and then on a Roku and you'll see that the forced subtitles are missing in the Roku. I've just started using Prime on the Roku so The  Widow is the first program where I've run into this. The problem persists through the entire series. 
Level 10

"guitarboy" wrote:
Here are 2: Jack Ryan Ep. 1 12:30, The Widow Ep. 1 first scene. Watch on  an  iPad or in a browser and then on a Roku and you'll see that the forced subtitles are missing in the Roku. I've just started using Prime on the Roku so The  Widow is the first program where I've run into this. The problem persists through the entire series. 

I checked the episodes you mentioned above and the first episode of White Dragon on Prime Video and Forced Subtitles were displayed when required using my TCL TV with Roku OS. I have the CAPTIONS Settings in the Roku OS set to ON REPLAY. I don't know if that affects Forced Subtitles on a streaming app.
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 8

Thanks for checking. Interesting that forced subs are working on the TCL but not on my Ultra.  I set Captions to On Replay but that didn't help. White Dragon is not available in my region (Canada).
Level 9

"guitarboy" wrote:
Thanks for checking. Interesting that forced subs are working on the TCL but not on my Ultra.  I set Captions to On Replay but that didn't help. White Dragon is not available in my region (Canada).

Your Ultra is running v9.0.0, likely build 4142 (or later). Is your TCL running 9.0, or is it still running 8.2? Not all Roku TVs have received 9.0, and that might be a difference, and possible a bug in 9.0, if not changed designed behavior.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"DBDukes" wrote:
"guitarboy" wrote:

Your Ultra is running v9.0.0, likely build 4142 (or later). Is your TCL running 9.0, or is it still running 8.2? Not all Roku TVs have received 9.0, and that might be a difference, and possible a bug in 9.0, if not changed designed behavior.

Good point. I am still on Version 8.2.0 Build 4170-30 on TCL Roku TV. Perhaps someone running 9.0 OS on a device will read through this and give it a test and follow up in the thread.
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:

More likely that it's a bug in the Prime app.  Forced subtitles work fine on every other channel.
Level 8

Checked this on my SS and SS+ (3800 & 3810), both running OS version 9.0.0-4142 and Amazon Prime version 10.8-2019011508 with both 4K/UHD/HDR streams and HD/SDR streams, all "forced" subtitles (and enabled subtitles/CC) were present on all streams on both devices (using Jack Ryan and Widow as referenced per ep/timestamp).

Its working properly with the SS/SS+ and 9.0.0-4142.
0 Kudos
guitarboy
Level 8

"StreamerUserDude" wrote:
Checked this on my SS and SS+ (3800 & 3810), both running OS version 9.0.0-4142 and Amazon Prime version 10.8-2019011508 with both 4K/UHD/HDR streams and HD/SDR streams, all "forced" subtitles (and enabled subtitles/CC) were present on all streams on both devices (using Jack Ryan and Widow as referenced per ep/timestamp).

Its working properly with the SS/SS+ and 9.0.0-4142.

So it's a bug in the Ultra? Can anyone else with an Ultra confirm?