Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Forced Subtitles on Amazon Prime in Canada

Jump to solution

Agreed. I think it's very dismissive of ROKU to mark this issue as resolved, especially given that someone from ROKU is actually reading and commenting in this thread. ROKU likely has a better avenue to communicate with Amazon than we do as individuals. An acknowledgement that there is an issue, whether it be with ROKU or Amazon Prime, and that they are working together to resolve it would be great. However, marking this as solved/resolved is dismissive and doesn't suggest that ROKU acknowledges their users are having an issue with their products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: PRIME VIDEO app subtitle operation on ROKU ULTRA device

Jump to solution

Toggling the closed captions (cc) option on and off is not a solution to this problem.  Closed captions displays subtitles for all dialog.  We want forced subtitles only to be displayed.  That is subtitles only for scenes/dialog that are not in english.  These are used in many scenes from Jack Ryan season 2 for example where there is a lot of spanish.  I can see the forced subtitles when I watch this on my HTPC (in Chrome) but not on my Roku Streaming Stick +.  I have logged a technical fault with Prime.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Plodmanau wrote:

Toggling the closed captions (cc) option on and off is not a solution to this problem.  Closed captions displays subtitles for all dialog.  We want forced subtitles only to be displayed.  That is subtitles only for scenes/dialog that are not in english.  These are used in many scenes from Jack Ryan season 2 for example where there is a lot of spanish.  I can see the forced subtitles when I watch this on my HTPC (in Chrome) but not on my Roku Streaming Stick +.  I have logged a technical fault with Prime.

I think there's some issues with terminology.  Toggling CC on and off doesn't leave CC on - it just resets the subtitle setting so that forced subtitles display in the right language.  At least that's how it works for me.  It seems that some users are not getting forced subtitles no matter what they do, although I'm wondering if they're following the exact steps described in this post and elsewhere in this thread. 

Level 7

Re: Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Thanks, @gibinux for your work around. One interesting thing was that when I went into the menu items along the top of the screen, I had not set any values and there were no defaults set. I had to select 'English' for both 'captions/subtitles' and 'audio' - there was nothing set by default.

When I went back into the program there were subtitles for every word (including descriptions of things happening and words of songs playing in the sound track!). They were there for all of the speech, English and others (If you like Jack Ryan, definitely try Treadstone - but your sub-titles had better work because they are everywhere from North Korea to China to Berlin as well as English speaking places). So - at least the subtitles worked for the foreign languages but were also there for the English.

I then tried the proposal by @guitarboy (thanks as well), but that switched the sub-titles off for English but reverted to some foreign language for the foreign languages, so it did not help for me.

Right now if I stream through my smart TV it all works perfectly. When I use the Roku streaming stick+ into my AV receiver, that is when it goes wonky. I will put up with the permanent sub-titles for now but do hope that 'they' fix it sometime!

Ciao All 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I still have the original issue and have tried all solutions listed (thank you all). I now have the issue with Disney+ and Star Wars films where as a Canadian, I’m given the French opening credits. I live in Toronto. The fix for that was having to go in and out and switch language in settings to English UK and then BACK to English US. I’m at a loss and it’s taken everything in me to not throw a shoe at my TCL with Roku TV. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Forced Subtitles on Amazon Prime in Canada

Jump to solution

I had German for Jack Ryan and German for Patriot with NO subtitles during many French language scenes. No workaround fixed it. I lost a lot of the story in Patriot when I had to turn off all subtitles because the wrong language was driving me bonkers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your follow up guitarboy but I have followed that instruction to the letter with no luck.  I have also tried the other solution of changing the audio and subtitle languages to another language then back again - also with no luck.  As noted, I am one of several who have logged a technical issue with Amazon so hopefully they can fix the problem soon.  I am not holding my breath though as others (including Roku) have raised thios issue with Amazon as far back as October 2019!  The more people who log this issue, the more pressure on Amazon to fix it so I encourage others who have this problem to get onto Amazon Prime support.  Save yourself some time and do the following first though:

1) De-register your Roku in your Prime Video account

2) Un-install the Prime Video channel on your Roku

3) Re-start your Roku

4) Re-add the Prime Video channel

5) Re-register your Roku with Prime

Amazon Prime support will ask you to do all of the above before they will register a fault.  It made no difference for me but they will want you to do all this anyway!

Cheers

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you! I have been in email dialog with ROKU support and they have been no help at all.  I would think that the ROKU support team would be aware of this solution since Amazon is a major content supplier.  On another note, subtitles for Amazon videos work seamlessly on all my other streaming devices.  ROKU was the only device that was problematic.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well I'm sad to say after months of living with the issue (and lately issues on Plex as well) we've given up and will be offloading our Roku and going to another device.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with a new Roku Ultra.  Subtitles and CC work just fine with my two older Roku;s (Premiere and “3”), but NOT with the Ultra.

After several back and forth emails with Roku, then they advised me  to take it up with Prime.   

Frustrating to say the least.