Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback. I got the Ultra LT at Walmart a week before Christmas. It was the last one they had and it worked great.  A week lagter I bought an Ultra and also their cheapest Roku for other tvs and neither would do the subtitles on Prime. When hitting the asterisk the option for subtitles it is not even there when on Prime. So I went back to Walmart and bought a second Ultra LT. No subtitles or option for them. Same model, same software version. I would be curious to know if anyone with an older Ultra LT gets subtitles. If they do my guess would be that the LT's that are out there now are a newer run and the first one I got was an older run and the new ones they must have done something different.

Anyway I found my older Roku 2 and the subtitles work great but Disney Plus is not available for that model. Stinks....

I won't be contacting Roku as their support is a joke. This is their response the four times I contact them:

We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you, which is not normal for our service. Given the time lapse, we wanted to see if you still need our assistance. If so, simply reply to this message and we will quickly get back to you. If assistance is not needed, you can just ignore this message.

Your experience is important to us, and we will do our best to turn that into a positive one.

Best regards,

Roku Customer Support

When I got a phone number and called I was bounced around for almost 40 minutes speaking to India folks that you could tell were reading from their book. If the customer says this say this. I finally got a supervisor that his broken Engish was even worse. He too was reading out of a book. Roku is bound to be making good money but their support sucks!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for your detailed testing @Impartial.  As I noted earlier in this thread, users on other platforms are also complaining about subtitle issues, so I am inclined to believe that the problem is with the Prime app. 

Level 8

Jump to solution

Maybe on both ends. Subtitles work fine on earlier Roku and also on one of the Ultra LT's but not the other Ultra LT that I took back. Same model and software version. Why would it work on one Ultra LT and not the other? Sounds to me more like a Roku problem but I am guessing if this ever goes anywhere they will blame each other. "Like the waitress or waiter said when you ask for something....it's not my table!" 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well watching Amazon shows on my Apple TV work just fine for subtitles so I guess ill stick with that and give my kids the Roku to use or return the Roku until someone figures out a solution. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Forced Subtitles on Amazon Prime in Canada

Jump to solution

I looked through this forum and even though this says 'Solved' - it's clearly not. 

At this point, I am going to return my Roku unless there is an imminent fix. Though you note users to follow-up with Amazon, shouldn't it be Roku avidly trying to fix this, I would imagine one of the key uses of your product is for Amazon Prime (one of the most popular streaming services out there). 

I only bought this device a couple of weeks ago, but I've had the same issue with Jack Ryan (and with Mr. Robot which has some characters speaking foreign languages at times). Jack Ryan has a significant chunk of their airtime with Arabic that should have forced subtitles. Switching cc on and off is awful way to watch the program.

If there is no solution, what number would I call at Amazon for a last ditch effort before returning your device?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hey there CdnUser, I completely agree with you, I have had no luck with Amazon after multiple attempts, there customer service is basic and reads off a script.

Return the Roku, the only way something will get fixed is if Roku devices stop getting used or sold.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

The problem is not just Canada. I took another Roku back and got another today. Same thing no subtitles on Amazon. I may just keep getting them and returning them. I might get lucky and find another one that works. I have one Ultra LT that does. Maybe if everyone did that and Roku started getting a lot of their product back they might do something. I thought about getting a firestick, but they don't have those old tv sitcoms channels. Must be a Roku exclusive. When I say old like "Love That Bob, I Married Joan, etc"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I’m pretty stuck because my TCL tv has Roku built in. I’m now using Disney + and I’m getting forced English subtitles on an English movie. So frustrated. Might get FireTv to see if I can override this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@CdnUser , when you say "switching cc on and off is awful way to watch the program", I'm not sure if you are referring to the workaround I posted above.  In case you are, then I just want to be clear that you don't have to do it while watching the program.  Basically, start the program, immediately pause it, toggle CC on then immediately off, restart the program and watch it.  You only have to toggle CC on and off each time you start/resume a program from the home screen on Prime Video.

Don't get me wrong, I realize it isn't ideal and this problem is frustrating.  I am in a situation where I have no intention of getting rid of my Roku.  I have had it for awhile and have been happily using it for things other than Prime Video.  It works great for me for everything else.  So for me, having this workaround makes it tolerable for Prime Video in the interim until the problem is fixed (if ever).

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello @Impartial 

Thanks for the note. I was actually referring to the community manager @RokuTannerD 's post earlier that said this was solved. 

I didn't actually see your workaround, which I now looked at. I did try that - it doesn't seem to work. I assume you mean turn it on 'so it flashes 'Captions ON' and then just press it again 'Captions Off'. This doesn't seem to do anything - program continues to play without any captions or subtitles (I'd have to go CC on again to see the foreign language subtitles. 

I'm kinda baffled this has remained an issue for so long (though i just came to it now having recently purchased my Roku Express). Disappointing, otherwise, the Roku is quite nice and the ability to go to all the streaming channels and my logins being stored in the device - pretty good. But this is really a problem. If not the most popular show, Jack Ryan must be pretty high up there on Amazon, and Amazon must be one of the primary uses of the Roku. And it has a lot of foreign languages (at least in season 1).