Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Forced Subtitles on Amazon Prime in Canada

Jump to solution
No resolution. I have tried to raise the issue with bith Roku and Amazon. No progress yet.
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue with my Roku and Prime watching Jack Ryan. If I watch it on my Samsung S9 I get English subtitles. I'm in Canada as well and just bought the Roku Premiere.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@TimT33 

Thanks for continuing to share your reports here. I have passed your feedback along to the channel provider and requested that they investigate. I'll provide any additional news or updates that I hear. For now, I'd recommend continuing to follow up with Amazon Prime Video support in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just so's ya know -- I'm in the USA and am unable to force Amazon Prime subtitles on my new Ultra even though I've used Amazon's internal settings as well as Roku's to enable subtitles/cc.  And yes, I'm talking about videos on AP that display subtitles when viewed on my main computer.   No problem with Netflix or other channels viewed on the Ultra.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can not get closed captions on Prime Video.  I upgraded to a Roku Ultra from a previous Roku model.  The Previous Roku displayed CC fine. 
I enabled CC in both the Roku setting and the Prime Video settings, but no luck.  CC work fine on other streaming channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

PRIME VIDEO app subtitle operation on ROKU ULTRA device

Jump to solution

For earlier Roku models, subtitles and closed captions for most applications, are enabled/disabled using the remote * key.  However, for the Prime Video app running on the new Roku Ultra device, subtitles and closed captions are not enabled/disabled using the remote * key!!  Instead, the remote down arrow key must be used during video playback.  After hitting the down arrow key, an information window will open at the bottom of the screen.  Using the right arrow key, navigate to the information window far right where the CC symbol appears.  The CC symbol will turn yellow when properly selected.  Next, press the OK key to toggle between CC (closed caption and subtitles) on and off.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have gone through four Roku's. The first one I bought about two weeks ago was the Ultra LT from Walmart. Subtitles work fine on Prime. So I went and bought the more expensive Ultra. No subtitles. Then bought their cheap $25 one. No subtitles. So today I went and bought another Ultra LT. No subtitles on this one. I don't have a clue why that first LT works fine unless it is the software version. I tried tech support and had a fun time on the phone for forty minutes. Talking to folks in India that didn't have a clue what I was talking about just reading answers from their little book. I don't have a clue whose problem it is Roku or Amazon but good luck getting it solved. I just now found this thread and it has been going on for months and months. Looks like it won't be solved. What a joke!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Still no resolve on my end. Had an Amazon "supervisor" ring me, said they would escalate, after a long conversation trying to explain exactly what the issue is. There is a huge disconnect. No help from Roku either, pretty pathetic all round. Might be time to cancel amazon and put the roku in the bin.

Buy a chrome and stick to netflix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having subtitle issues with Amazon Prime just like a number of other people on this thread. So I did a bit of playing around and thought I would share my results...

For these tests, I used:
-Roku Ultra with 9.2.0 build 4806
-Amazon Prime Channel 11.0 build 2019090617
-Jack Ryan Season 2, Episode 2 around 26:08 when Reyes and Ubarri are talking.

Roku captions: off, preferred language is English

Prime subtitles with English CC enabled:
-It seems to work as expected (English captions are shown throughout the program)

Prime subtitles turned off via pausing the program and using the CC button in the lower right corner:
-After turning CC off and continuing the program, forced subtitles are correctly shown for non-English portions of the program.
-Once the episode is exited and resumed, 1 of 3 behaviours results:
-The subtitles continue to work correctly (extremely rare in my testing)
-Subtitles are shown in German (this is by far the most common thing that happens in my testing)
-First subtitle after resuming flashes up in German and then quickly changes to English and then works thereafter (very rare in my testing)
-When the subtitles are in German, pausing the program and using the CC button in the lower right to toggle captions on and then immediately off and then resuming the program will result in correct subtitles for the remainder of the program (unless it is exited and resumed as per above). In fact, if I paused the program with a German subtitle on the screen, it will change to English (while still paused) upon toggling the CC setting.

On a related note since it was mentioned in the thread:
-These subtitles render with a black background.
-Setting the Roku background and window opacity to 0% had no impact on the rendering as has been mentioned by others in this thread.

The bottom line in terms of the behaviour I see is:
-There is definitely one or more bugs. I can't speak to whether they are in the Amazon Prime code, Roku, or both. If I had to guess based on very limited info, I would think that the German issue would be in Amazon code. The black background I can't say because I don't know whose code is doing the rendering in this case.
-A viable workaround is to start an episode, immediately pause it, toggle the CC on and off, then resume. In this case, I only see English forced subtitles which is what I want. Unfortunately, I still have to deal with the black background.

On a personal note, I work as a software architect for a company that creates hardware and software for the video broadcast industry. I get that problems can be very elusive and tough to solve. Generally, the worst thing that affects progress is that the problem is very difficult to replicate. There is enough commonality in terms of what people are reporting on this thread alone that this should be easily solvable. I am shocked that this thread is nearly a year old, people have clearly engaged Amazon, and yet the problem still exists. Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Impartial Thanks for the helpful breakdown and details! I've passed these along to the channel provider for their continued investigation. I'd recommend continuing to follow up with their support team for additional updates. 

Thanks,

Tanner