Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Video Mobile App Control

I have a 55S403 TCL Roku TV.   Does anyone know if there's a way to interface with the TV's Prime Video app via the mobile Prime Video app for Android through the "Second Screen" feature (i.e, browse movies with the phone app, then "cast" selections to the TV, basically using the phone as a smart remote control)?  This functionality exists for the YouTube app (you can project YouTube vids from your phone to the TV), and it'd be really nice to be able to do the same with Prime Video.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

I believe the only way you're going to be able to accomplish that is with a Chromecast.
0 Kudos

"scottypie1234" wrote:
I believe the only way you're going to be able to accomplish that is with a Chromecast.

Yeah, I guess I just thought that since the TV is capable of receiving a signal from the mobile YouTube app without a Chromecast or any other kind of peripheral, that there might be a way to get it to communicate with the Prime Video mobile app too...   Perhaps not, though  :-/   Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I think that only works with a Fire TV device.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Daikini Crossroads

That's a great question. You can accomplish a form of this functionality using the Roku mobile app. 

After installing the Roku mobile app on your mobile phone, launch the app and connect to your Roku device. Then, use the search feature in the mobile app to locate the movie or TV show that you're interested in. For TV show results, you can select the specific season from the dropdown, and a list of the available episodes should appear. You should be able to tap on one of these episodes to trigger your connected Roku device to begin playback of that content. 

Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
@Daikini Crossroads

That's a great question. You can accomplish a form of this functionality using the Roku mobile app. 

After installing the Roku mobile app on your mobile phone, launch the app and connect to your Roku device. Then, use the search feature in the mobile app to locate the movie or TV show that you're interested in. For TV show results, you can select the specific season from the dropdown, and a list of the available episodes should appear. You should be able to tap on one of these episodes to trigger your connected Roku device to begin playback of that content. 

Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner

While that certainly works for Roku Channel material, it doesn't appear to enable you to browse/play Prime Video content...
0 Kudos
gandrew
Level 7

"Daikini Crossroads" wrote:
I have a 55S403 TCL Roku TV.   Does anyone know if there's a way to interface with the TV's Prime Video app via the mobile Prime Video app for Android through the "Second Screen" feature (i.e, browse movies with the phone app, then "cast" selections to the TV, basically using the phone as a smart remote control)?  This functionality mcdvoice[/url:2tc1zpxg] exists for the YouTube app (you can project YouTube vids from your phone to ...

I am stuck with the same question 
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

You're Roku TV might cast or mirror your smartphone. Just goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Then on an Android you need to turn on Smart View (might only be on certain models, I have an 8-). There's a similar feature for Iphone, don't recall what it is & again might only be certain newer models.

0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"37mediagroup" wrote:
You're Roku TV might cast or mirror your smartphone. Just goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Then on an Android you need to turn on Smart View (might only be on certain models, I have an 8-). There's a similar feature for Iphone, don't recall what it is & again might only be certain newer models.

Mirroring is a last resort.. video quality is usually pretty bad as is audio, when mirroring..

Casting is really what you want to do in a situation like this.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Daikini Crossroads

It should allow the channel to launch and start playing the content, assuming you are signed into the Amazon Prime Video channel on your Roku TV. 

For example, I tested using 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Season 2, Episode 1. On my Android device, I opened the Roku mobile app and connected to my Roku TV. 

Then, I went to 'Search' and searched for the series. I scrolled down and tapped on Episode 1 of Season 2, then tapped the triangle 'Play' icon next to the channel name that appears on that page. This launched the Amazon Prime video channel on my Roku TV and started playing the episode I had selected. 

Please let me know how this differs from what you are seeing, or what you are trying to accomplish, and I'll try to make any further suggestions. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos