Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shindigger
Level 7

Prime Video Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

Hi All,

As of Friday, after buying a film (Paddington 2), I noticed that the movie only plays in PCM. Going through other titles I note that most play with DD+ 5.1 but some don't. All are labelled as 5.1. I use a Yamaha RXV383 amp running the latest firmware. My old Roku Streaming Stick is also running the latest. With Netflix everything plays in DD+ so I cannot figure out why Prime Video doesn't encode all files. Very annoying. Any ideas?

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Prime Video Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

Based on this link, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV383 ... ug=9018839

The specs say nothing about being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus.. only Dolly Digital and DTS.

Have you had past success with DD+ titles with this Roku and receiver?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Shindigger
Level 7

Certainly. All Netflix and Amazon are DD+ and the setup explicitly says DD+/DTS on Roku.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

But if the content is only Digital+, I don't think it'll work with your receiver. The specs for your receiver mention nothing about DD+ decoding.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Shindigger
Level 7

0 Kudos
wallacio
Level 7

It's not you - exactly the same is happening with me; Roku 3 and Yamaha RX-V677.
I have always, always been able to decode DD+ 5.1 titles on Prime Video but lately, it's a bit more hit and miss.

The Grand Tour as an example;
Season 1: all episodes are detected as being encoded with DD+ 5.1.
Season 2: Episodes 1-8 are DD+, 9-11 are PCM 2.0.
Can anyone verify this?

Amazon have obviously changed the encoding somehow. I've had the most infuriating conversation with an Amazon 'support' person but finding someone who understood what "audio" was, never mind Dolby Digital or PCM was a challenge so I gave up.
0 Kudos
Shindigger
Level 7

I was refunded for the film purchase and spoke with a nice representative. He said he had escalated this and it would be looked into. I noticed it only happened with two films put up last week... all older titles fine.
0 Kudos
wallacio
Level 7

I'm wishing I'd had your nice representative to speak to. I think I got Paddington.
0 Kudos
Shindigger
Level 7

An online rep assured me the problem is now solved. Yet to check.
0 Kudos
wallacio
Level 7

Well not in my house.

If you wouldn't mind when checking, can you compare The Grand Tour S2E8 and S2E9? The former is in DD+, the latter in stereo PCM.

The new season of Sneaky Pete seems to be fine (DD+) so it doesn't appear to be consistent with date, unless that was encoded a while ago... who knows. Does anyone even know what format the audio from Prime is in?
0 Kudos