Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Premium subscriptions on Roku

Jump to solution

I’m new to Roku and still feeling my way around. If I have a Starz subscription that I purchased outside of Roku, can I still watch my Starz through Roku?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Premium subscriptions on Roku

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out. If you have a standalone subscription to Starz, you can log into the standalone Starz channel on your Roku device by installing the Starz channel on your device from 'Streaming Channels' or by adding it to your account online here: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/65067/starz

Starz, when subscribed inside 'The Roku Channel', is a premium subscription only available/accessible inside the Roku Channel on your Roku device, The Roku Channel on the web, or via the Roku Mobile app. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out. If you have a standalone subscription to Starz, you can log into the standalone Starz channel on your Roku device by installing the Starz channel on your device from 'Streaming Channels' or by adding it to your account online here: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/65067/starz

Starz, when subscribed inside 'The Roku Channel', is a premium subscription only available/accessible inside the Roku Channel on your Roku device, The Roku Channel on the web, or via the Roku Mobile app. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It seems like the real answer is you can't add the STARZ channel through ROKU without paying for a new subscription. However, it seems you can get the STARZ app on the TV and log-in and watch through the app. It would seem the distinction is small, nevertheless, there is a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Here's some advice:  Don't sign up for any Premium channels via Roku.  You will end up spending money, not getting all the content you want, then canceling the Roku subscription to then pay for the genuine article.  I'm now dealing with this issue with Roku HBO, which is a skeleton of the actual HBO content.  Shameful the way they pull this off and get away with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@HopsNinja ROku, as a streaming device platform and OS, offers the Starz channel which allows you to simply install the channel and sign in using your existing subscription. 

'The Roku Channel', our own standalone streaming content channel, offers free content, as well as the ability to subscribe to premium subscriptions within the channel, such as Starz or HBO. This is a standalone channel that we offer on the Roku platform, just like any other channel. In this case, it's helpful to understand the distinction between the platform and the streaming channel when comparing ways to watch content. 

@BobZoom All the same content is available from premium subscriptions inside The Roku Channel, as what you would find in the standalone channel/service (such as HBO). The content layout within the channel may differ, which I understand may make it more difficult to find the content that you're looking for.

When you first launch The Roku Channel from the Roku home screen, use the up arrow inside 'The Roku Channel' to locate the 'Search' tile option. You should be able to use this to search feature to locate any title included in an HBO subscription, and it should be available inside The Roku Channel, just as it would be using a separate, standalone HBO subscription. 

Keep us posted if you have any other questions we can help with! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos