Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyCalling
Level 8

Popcornflix broken for good?

This may be a UK only issue, but for many months my Streaming Stick+ has crashed every time I try to launch Popcornflix. I have tried removing, rebooting and re-adding the channel. I've tried a factory reset. I've tried moving house, replacing the modem with a new version and replacing the router with a new one. The stick works with all other things, and Popcornflix works on PC/phone etc. On the Roku though, it now just spins a circle for a second on launch before crashing back to the channel screen.

Is this just for UK customers? I've waited to see if it gets fixed but nothing doing so far. Anyone got any tricks to get this working again?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ghb51
Level 9

Re: Popcornflix broken for good?

It's working fine here in the US fwiw.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Yea, thought as much because there doesn't seem to be an uproar on here.

So, can anyone confirm that this is a UK/non-US thing and not just me? Or am I the only one barred from Popcornflix?

Also, if I am the only one, any tips on fixing it? I have already moved house and swapped out all my networking equipment and cables for new. I can't justify moving country just for Popcornflix... can I? No, I can't sell the house weeks after buying it. I need a more local solution. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"AndyCalling" wrote:
Yea, thought as much because there doesn't seem to be an uproar on here.

So, can anyone confirm that this is a UK/non-US thing and not just me? Or am I the only one barred from Popcornflix?

Also, if I am the only one, any tips on fixing it? I have already moved house and swapped out all my networking equipment and cables for new. I can't justify moving country just for Popcornflix... can I? No, I can't sell the house weeks after buying it. I need a more local solution. Any ideas?

A couple of things could be going on. Before that, the ToS seem to indicate that PopcornFlix is indeed supported outside the U.S. https://www.popcornflix.com/pages/about/a/terms So that's not it.

What could be happening, though, is that all apps on Roku have settings for the regions in which the app is allowed. Just because a service allows its use in an area doesn't mean the app is allowed in that area; in such case, you'd watch via a different manner.

If PopcornFlix updated the app recently, and changed the allowed regions, and if it thinks you are outside one of those allowed regions, the app won't work. That has occasionally been a problem in some U.K. areas that are actually Crown dependencies, such as Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

If memory serves, you are U.K. proper, and shouldn't have this problem. It could be just a glitch (that's the other thing when I said "a couple") and might clear up. Have you contacted PopcornFlix.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Yep, I'm in mainland UK and Popcornflix works on the web site. I don't think it is a Roku region tag thing, as in such cases the channel generally isn't listed in the store. Since I've removed (and rebooted) then reinstalled from the store I know it is still listed. Website version of Popcornflix is working. Interestingly, it seems it changed hands and needed a new account set up, but I can't even get as far as entering the login details in the Roku version so that can't be it. As I say, even a factory reset didn't help.

I do have a Roku Streaming Stick+. I wonder if this channel app just doesn't like the newer sticks? It may be an older version of the app outside the US. I have had the issue for months so waiting hasn't helped. The issue could have developed when I upgraded from my purple Streaming Stick to the Streaming Stick+? I can't recall, but that might be a factor, if anyone can confirm?

I will try to contact Popcornflix but I fear that companies which don't receive payment from customers directly are often difficult to deal with regarding technical issues like this. I suspect they'll tell me it's my router at fault (I am very experienced with IT and know this isn't the issue but you know how this things play out on the phone). I was hoping to get as full a picture of the situation as I can before tackling them.

I would love to hear from another UK user to confirm or otherwise the situation. If I can contact Popcornflix and tell them this is a wider issue than just myself (seems like it, considering everything I have swapped out) then I may get more traction with them. MAY...
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

UPDATE: OK, so I've spoken with another UK Roku user who is using the older, purple Roku stick, different router, different ISP, different internet system entirely (I'm cable/docsis, they are telephone line), other end of England from me, same issue with Popcornflix as me exactly. Also, no issues with other Roku stations.

So, now I will contact the Popcornflix people some time this week. I will update you on results.

Still interested to hear if this affects other non-US countries at all as it has affected the UK. Weird that it is not just me and they've effectively cut off a tonne of customers for months, at least one whole nation, with no hint of it being addressed. Strange business plan.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

FURTHER UPDATE: ARRRGH! I've just checked out their web site and they offer absolutely zero methods to contact them. No phone number, no email address, no support web form, in fact no support area on their site at all. That really shows their intent re. support, which is not to provide any.

So it's probably a waste of time anyway, but does anyone know a way to contact Popcornflix about minor issues, such as the entire UK getting cut off? Hate to disturb their slumber, but you know...
0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 10

Looks like your best bet might be to try to contact them via their FB or Twitter pages listed here: https://www.popcornflix.com/pages/about/a/about
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I would think that since PopcornFlix is in the UK Channel Store that it would be expected to work. Perhaps Roku can reach out, if this is actually a nationwide issue.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

It has worked before, always used to since I've been using Roku. Until recent months.
0 Kudos