Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adfrad
Level 7

Poor Amazon Audio on Roku 3

Hi,
Has anyone noticed poor audio on the Amazon Prime Video App on the Roku 3?
I have two R3, one plugged in to a soundbar, one direct into the TV, both by HDMI.
On both devices, there is a smearing sound on sibliants... like the high notes on voices running through a flanger.
Plex is fine, and I have tried changing all the audio sound modes, but nothing seems to fix it. 
Any ideas on how to fix this annoying issue?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Poor Amazon Audio on Roku 3

I haven't noticed it, but I AM impressed at your use of the word "sibliants".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
rwhewitt
Level 9

Same problem here. I have Roku 2 XS. Amazon audio has swishing sound in background.
0 Kudos
rwhewitt
Level 9

UPDATE:
Still hearing poor audio (swishing sound on spoken words) on PRIME VIDEO channel on my ROKU 2 XS.
PRIME VIDEO Channel version 5.18 Build 1 (There is a version 6.0 in the Channel store, but will not download for my player)
Audio Mode (Auto (stereo)
HDMI (auto Detect)
All other streaming channels on ROKU 2 XS (NETFLIX, VUDU, Crackle, EPIX) sound good.
PRIME VIDEO audio on my iPad and Fire Tablet are also good.

Called Amazon CS.  They had never heard of the poor audio issue.  Suggested uninstalling channel and reinstalling.

Why the audio problem only with PRIME VIDEO ?

Any suggestions for alternate audio settings?  I am also running the audio from the ROKU 2 XS  audio outputs (red and white) to a simple stereo amplifier. Hear the swishing sound through the Amp as well as the TV speakers.
0 Kudos
bzag00
Level 7

Amazon Music app has stopped playing on my Roku Ultra.  It is not the network, not the internet, not the wireless, not my amazon account, yadda yadda.  When I select/play a song, it rescans the entire album and then stops.  It doesn't matter which album.

I suspect Amazon is responsible for this, because they are messing with the uploaded music option, of which, btw, I have none.  BTW, the app works on all my mobile players for which I only play downloaded music, so I would not know if this is only affected by non-downloaded music.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"bzag00" wrote:
Amazon Music app has stopped playing on my Roku Ultra.  It is not the network, not the internet, not the wireless, not my amazon account, yadda yadda.  When I select/play a song, it rescans the entire album and then stops.  It doesn't matter which album.

I suspect Amazon is responsible for this, because they are messing with the uploaded music option, of which, btw, I have none.  BTW, the app works on all my mobile players for which I only play downloaded music, so I would not know if this is only affected by non-downloaded music.

You are correct that Amazon is responsible. Roku themselves are only responsible for a very few channels. While posting here is good, you need to let Amazon know through their channels. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Amazon Music has been updated to include amazon music unlimited on roku:

https://blog.roku.com/amazon-music-roku-devices

I had to remove the old amazon prime music app, then install the new one, enter a new code to turn on the channel.
0 Kudos
paulfel
Level 7

I am also getting very poor sibilance sound with Amazon Prime using my Roku 3.
0 Kudos
brianh44
Level 7

I had this same issue, all swishy and hissy and just plain bad sounding.  I hit the asterisk (*) button on my Roku remote to turn on the CC, and lo and behold there's an audio option there to bump it up to 128K (the default seems to be 64K).  After that, it sounds great.  Unfortunately I have to do that every time (haven't found a setting to make it permanent), but it works.
0 Kudos
Eserim
Level 7

I don't get the sound options under closed captions.

I do get this issue with Prime and my R2 box and all possible settings.

What version do you have? Mine is 2018101018. So quite recent.
0 Kudos