Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtmcdonough
Level 8

Pluto tv goes to black screen

I have a Roku tv and daily watch Pluto tv.  Recently, no matter what channel I am watching on Pluto, after a few minutes of viewing, the screen goes black and there is no sound.  After 10-30 seconds, the screen and sound return but the program has advanced.  This happens no matter what Pluto channel I am on.  It does not happen with any other Roku streaming channel.

I sent a request to Pluto support about this matter but got the canned response that their engineers had just submitted an update to Roku and the problem would be fixed shortly.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarryLeeMoniz
Level 7

Re: Pluto tv goes to black screen

I am having the same problem, with no response.  It seems to only happen with several of the newer channels.  It is very annoying.

0 Kudos
Mrdeeds
Level 7

I have the same issue, just got. Roku stick and having issues with Pluto.  Netflix or prime are fine.  Pluto will black out then come back on a few minutes later.  If I turn the tv off and back on lit works for about 10 minutes then starts acting up again. So frustrating.

0 Kudos
mtmcdonough
Level 8

Hi.  This problem seems to have gone away or been fixed.  Yesterday, the black screen rarely happened.  Today, so far, it has not happened at all.  Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Megx
Level 7

Me too! This drives me crazy. It happens so often sometimes 2-5 times in a five min period. That's a lot of content being missed.

when will this be fixed?!?!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Megx,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart on a player, or Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart on a Roku TV.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

However, if the issue persists and the only affected channel is Pluto TV, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer. Channels on Roku are developed and managed by the channel publisher themselves. I suggest reaching out to them directly to share your concern. 

You can contact their customer support here: https://support.pluto.tv/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos