Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nanalinda
Level 8

Pluto - remote won't change channel

Jump to solution

Noticed just this morning (Nov. 13, 2020) that the only button on my Roku remote that Pluto responds to is the HOME button. No button will allow me to go to the channel guide. I've checked for Pluto and Roku updates, also removed and re-added the channel to no avail. Please advise and thanks in advance.

NOTE: This is an edit on Nov. 19, 2020 to my original message. I failed to mention I have a 4230X Roku 3 box, not a Roku TV and like others who have commented here, I find that after exiting out with the Home button and entering back in that the new features in Pluto appear only about 10% of the time. I'm grateful that Pluto is free, but even for free I think something should be a bit more reliable than 10%. Or maybe we're just being used as Beta testers unknowingly.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christytoo
Level 8

Re: Pluto - remote won't change channel

Jump to solution

You're right about Pluto's support.  But keep in mind they're a free service.  No charge for anything they offer.  I, for one, don't want them to start charging for their service.  News junkie that I am, I appreciate that they offer a range of news incuding skynews.  I don't mind the inconvenience of a work around with my Roku 3.  I go to search from the Roku home screen and order a movie that Pluto offers.  When the movie appears I scroll to the top and go from "on demand" to "live TV" and the menu appears.  Easy peasy.    

View solution in original post

277 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

When you reinstalled, did you restart your Roku to clear its memory between uninstalling and reinstalling?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
ChesapeakeJoe
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had the same problem today after installing a microSD card. I removed the card, uninstalled the Pluto app, rebooted the Roku device from the settings menu, reinstall the Pluto app and now everything is fine. Hope this helps

yantwenty4
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem here after Pluto TV updated.  The only work around is to uninstall and reinstall channel, but the problem will occur again after a few hours.  We just have to wait it out and hopefully they can fix this problem.  I have 3500x stick.

GaryB007
Level 10

Jump to solution

Had the same issue. I just wait it out until it works again which it eventually does.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

b_l_o_k
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is pathetic.

You would think that Pluto (or even Roku) would have some kind of basic telemetry (logging) from the app that would let them know that viewing dropped off a cliff after the last update (because nobody can switch channels).

At the very least, they would immediately roll back the update (restore the previous version) at such signs of trouble, while they work on a fix for the messed up version they released (obviously without sufficient testing).

It would also be helpful if the Roku system software would let users manually roll back to a previous version of a currently broken app (as a temporary workaround).

Seanpmi
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same issue here.  Frustrating.

nanalinda
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, I've rebooted the Roku...several times.

Bossmoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same problem here.  I tried rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing, removing the SD card, putting the SD card back - I have tried everything multiple times.  No luck.  I load Pluto on my Roku 3 and it won't respond to any remote control signals EXCEPT the home button, which takes you out of Pluto.

Except.....every now and then I load the channel and it DOES work as expected.  Sometimes I have to start and stop it 10-12 times to get it to "work."

Very annoying

GaryB007
Level 10

Jump to solution

I sent Pluto an email about the issue from their website. Maybe we all should.