Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vnazario
Level 8

Pluto.TV terrible now

Hello:

I have no problems with watching ads to help support the content provider and developer so they can make a profit and cover operation expenses.

HOWEVER:

Too many ads. More ads time to watch than actual desired content.

The placement of the ad-breaks is terrible. I was watching the Stand up comedy channel and the ad-breaks would be in the middle of a comedians skit and when you were done with the ads, it would not return to where you left off but rather after introducing a new comedian on the show and same behavior from the channel over and over.

Simply a really bad experience. Again, I don't mind the ads but the placement and implementation is just awful. I suppose I will not be watching again Pluto.TV and supporting them by watching their ads unless they address this. Pluto.TV really sucks big time now.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
14 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Pluto.TV terrible now

unfortunately many ad supported apps just use a timer to run ads -- in other words an ad will play every "x" minutes regardless of what is going on in the video and as vnazario points out it is like they over lay the ads on top of the video so that portion of the video is lost ... I too would love to embrace more free ad supported programming on Roku but until the channel devs stop these annoying practices I will continue to boycott most of their apps.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

I agree. This is why I would paid a small fee to get rid of ads. Ads always start out small. One here and there then before you know it is 3 or 4 ads every 5 minutes.

I seen this happen to every music service I used so I either paid for them to get rid of the ads or I ditch them and don't bother no more.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

... to add to the above:
Pluto quality is on par with Armstrong's moon walk in 1969 (not really considered a deep, immersive and rich video experience, but when I was 13 it had my full, undivided attention). When you start blowing advertisements in on that barely watchable content in the way Pluto handles it it doesn't take very long to delete the channel and not feel bad about it.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

I don't feel bad about it. All their content can be found elsewhere. The only "advantage" they had was consolidation.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
I don't feel bad about it. All their content can be found elsewhere. The only "advantage" they had was consolidation.

Yes! Sometimes it's nice to just put on a channel and let it play. But, the ads are placed over the content. That is, the content continues to advance during the time the ads are played.

I have no issue with ad-supported content. I have issue with poorly-implemented ad-supported content. Unfortunately, Pluto.TV is that in its Roku implementation.

The thing is, on Apple TV, the commercials seem to be properly implemented. They occur during actual breaks and between episodes.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
KTMCDO
Level 7

The news reports gets cut off in mid report
Same for the tech news channels
0 Kudos
shadoecat
Level 7

I wonder if it's just a Roku thing. I watch Pluto on Fire TV, since it has more channels, and the commercials are in their proper places.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

"shadoecat" wrote:
I wonder if it's just a Roku thing. I watch Pluto on Fire TV, since it has more channels, and the commercials are in their proper places.

It's a Pluto problem on Roku. It's up to the developers to fix any problems on the devices using the app.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
blinkeye
Level 7

Has anyone noticed that the Pluto.TV channel has issues when the Roku system is set to 1080p resolution?

I installed Pluto.TV when it first came out and had always had issues with it, with the screen turning black, or flickering, or scrambled/shrunken, or having it exit out unexpectedly, so I ended up not using the channel much.

I have my Roku 2 and 3 set to 1080p, since they are connected to 1080p devices (one a 1080p projector, and another to a 1080p TV), but recently someone else in my family accidentally set the Roku display setting to 720p on one of the Rokus, and all the issues with Pluto.TV disappeared, it became rock solid.

I set the other Roku to 720p, and it was stable there too. I then set both back to 1080p and Pluto.TV kept giving me issues again, with the screen blanking out, etc. I notice my projector handles Pluto.TV worse than the TV in 1080p, I would get Signal out of range when trying to change Pluto.TV channels, whereas the TV might just blank the screen for a while, but come back after a bit, but in 720p, I can change and view channels, no problem, on either device.

This is the only channel that I have ever noticed behaved differently after switching from 1080p to 720p, I have not had any issues at 1080p with any other channel I usually use.
0 Kudos