Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Bkl070
Channel Surfer

Pluto TV on demand not working properly

Jump to solution

I have Roku 3910rw (Express+). Mostly the problem is when I try to use Pluto's on demand. Titles will be choppy, freezing from the start. They may play smoothly for a minute or two then the app crashes. Sometimes it freezes when I am looking through the guide. I need to unplug/plug in Roku to make anything work. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Pluto app but it didn't help.

I have no problem playing on other services. Just Pluto.

It seems Pluto no longer has customer service or a way to contact anymore either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Pluto TV not working properly

Jump to solution

@Bkl070 

So based upon your new information (Composite connection) I did some testing with my 3910.

I also experienced chopping/stuttering within a minute or two and eventually Pluto TV crashing to home with On Demand titles.

However, based upon past experience with the 3910 and other older/lower memory/composite output models I was able to prevent it:

1)  Change the theme to the Roku default:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

2) Change the screensaver to a simple one:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers/Roku digital clock (or Analog clock, or Logo rain)

3) Play PTV On Demand, enjoy.

This technique often works with Composite output issues and/or larger apps (especially those with external library modules).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Make sure you restart your Roku when reinstalling:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(If you dont restart, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

Otherwise, you need to contact Pluto TV about app issues:

https://support.pluto.tv/hc/en-us/requests/new

0 Kudos
Bkl070
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No help. What I did find out is if I use the HDMI connection there is almost no problems with on demand playback.

It's when I use the composite audio video that causes the problems. And it only happens with Pluto TV. Using the HDMI defeats the purpose of buying the Express+ with composite for my older tv.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Bkl070 

The Roku Express+ model 3910 doesn't have component output. It has composite.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Bkl070
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Right. I looked it up before I posted but I looked at the wrong thing. Obviously you knew what I meant so what is the purpose of your reply? Do you have a solution?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Bkl070 

There have been people that have tried connecting a composite device to a component input. I wanted to clarify what you actually had. I don't know you, and didn't know where you fell in the spectrum regarding knowing what hookups will work. Nothing more.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bkl070 

So based upon your new information (Composite connection) I did some testing with my 3910.

I also experienced chopping/stuttering within a minute or two and eventually Pluto TV crashing to home with On Demand titles.

However, based upon past experience with the 3910 and other older/lower memory/composite output models I was able to prevent it:

1)  Change the theme to the Roku default:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

2) Change the screensaver to a simple one:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers/Roku digital clock (or Analog clock, or Logo rain)

3) Play PTV On Demand, enjoy.

This technique often works with Composite output issues and/or larger apps (especially those with external library modules).

0 Kudos
Bkl070
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. It seems to have worked. All but screensaver was Roku default. I changed that and removed a bunch of screensavers that must have been installed when a channel was added. I may retry the screensaver, though I did suspect something was off about it. Playback seems fine. It still struggles like it never did before with cueing or even 15 sec. jump but it hangs on.

I wonder if I have too many channels. I have had apps like Sling and Disney+ state they couldn't open because not enough memory, or something to that effect. It was rather random though.

Any insights as to why my Windows 10 pc won't cast to my tv or Roku but will cast to my Roku if I right click a video, such as on Youtube?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bkl070 

The "not enough memory" errors when attempting to load apps are common for older/low memory models too - and the same solutions/workaounds apply (change/default theme, change/simplify screensaver)

Yes, if you have a lot of apps loaded you'll want to reduce those as well, but after that its the same two workarounds/solutions.

As far as Miracast mirroring from Windows 10 goes there are a lot of variables - you might want to start another thread and I can help you there.

0 Kudos
MelG
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

THANK YOU! This worked!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹πŸ‘πŸ‘

0 Kudos