Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BartZLederman
Level 8

Pluto TV Really bad change to the channel listing

I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about the really [uncomplimentary description deleted] change Pluto TV made to the channel listings, at least for the Roku Channel (the web site hasn't changed).  All of the program information is now gone.  Instead of telling you what the programs are about, there is a countdown timer for the current program and NOTHING at all on future programs.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.  I posted something on the Pluto TV 'support' blog as soon as it happened (and if you think getting someone to talk to at Roku is difficult, it's 1,000 times more difficult on Pluto) but after a week they haven't even acknowledged my post.

I think some sort of feedback to Pluto is in order, they clearly think people who watch their channel via Roku are either stupid, or should be treated like third class citizens.  Or am I the only person who thinks what Pluto has done is wrong?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Pluto TV Really bad change to the channel listing

Hi @BartZLederman

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that Roku only rents and transmits the channel and is not responsible for the content and the channel's user interface. Both are chosen directly by the channel developer and we have no control over the programming or operation of the channel. We would recommend reaching out directly to Pluto TV Support to submit your feedback.

You can contact them here: https://support.pluto.tv/hc/en-us/requests/new

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Level 8

O.K., it's been more than six weeks.

I did "reach out" to Pluto on their "support" forum twice.

It took them three weeks to answer the first time: the answer was "we're closing your request, if you still think there is a problem submit it over again (and they asked me to include all of the information I had already told them).

The answer to my second "request" also took three weeks and was the same as the first: "we're closing your request" with no reason given, and a request to repeat all of the information in the first two requests.

Pluto does not read or pay any attention to what they have been told, and they just don't care that their Roku channel doesn't work right.

I've decided the only solution now is to delete the channel as the aggravation it causes is more than their content is worth.

And the Roku support people should really be equally ashamed of themselves for not caring at all about the quality of the channels they offer.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

A couple of things come to mind:  It appears that in those 6 weeks, no one else has jumped into this thread with a "me too".  So perhaps this channel isn't watched much or other watchers aren't bugged that much.

As for Roku being ashamed, well, what would they do?  It seems to me mostly they could just refuse to allow a channel on if it doesn't meet some "standards".  But look around this forum for threads about carriage disputes – people don’t like them – a lot.  So, I think your solution is probably the better one: If you don’t like a channel, then you stop using that channel.  If lots of people agree, viewing will go down and they'll notice that.  Pluto appears to be an ad-supported channel, so you have to remember that you are "the product" and the customer is the advertisers.  They don't care much about the how "the product" feels but they do care if they can't get product to their customers.

Also, there are thousands of channel/apps on Roku and some of them are noticeably low-budget/cheesy.  But I think that's OK.  Low budget/cheesy can be fun at times.

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Level 8

It's possible that nobody said anything here because they don't expect Roku to do anything.

I would also point out you can press "*" when selecting any Roku channels to bring up a menu. One of the menu items is "Give us feedback".  So, either Roku is interested in what their customers are saying about the channels they offer; or Roku doesn't care and is only pretending that they are interested in what feedback customers give about the channels.  I'll let you decide which is correct (unless someone from Roku wants to tell us if they pay any attention to our feedback).

As for Pluto, their "forum" doesn't work the way this one does.  Normally, you are not allowed to see what anyone else has posted. Their FAQ and "most asked" questions are edited entirely by the Pluto staff.  You can not search for other requests to see what anyone else has, and there is never anything negative reported there.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Could be but people seem to find time to say lots of stuff here so I'm not so sure.  On "Give us feedback", I wondered who "us" is so I searched around and I found a thread where someone from Roku said of the "Give us feedback" menu: " Keep in mind Roku isn't the content provider, but we're happy to pass along your feedback to our channel partners."

0 Kudos
denhow
Level 10

So far nobody has mentioned that Pluto TV is owned by ViacomCBS. They may see an advantage in making sure that their free app (Pluto TV) is functional, but not as slick as their paid app (Paramount+). 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Well, i will agree with @BartZLederman that I really don't care for the new layout of the new Pluto guide either, but this is about the fourth or fifth guide update I have seen since using the Channel. (I remember a goofy looking guy pointing to the new features during its initial release years back on top of the screen.)

However, I really do not let these things get to me.  As @Strega  indicated, there are so many similar channels that offer the same content like Xumo and Plex and others, that I just find another I find more appealing to use.  By years end, you will probably find that Pluto has yet again revamped its Guide.  For me, I guess it is having the availability to watch a certain content, rather than the manner in which I access the content.  I can overlook the functions of a guide if I can just get to the content I want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insigna RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos