Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buzzbb64

Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC audio

Just recently Plex has been hanging on all 3 roku devices on any videos which have EAC audio.  This happens at 33% which I believe is when decoding started.  Have tried rebooting and uninstalling and reinstalling Plex.

Plex server is running on Shield. 

7 REPLIES 7
Somar2230
Reel Rookie

Re: Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC audio

I was having a similar issue and found it was due to PGS subtitles being selected by default.  Disabling the subs fixed the issue for me.  Roku can not display image based subtitles.

0 Kudos
semtex41
Reel Rookie

I am also having this issue with a roku 4k hdr streaming stick+ and a TCL Roku TV.

If the movie is transcoding AC3, it will start fine and play until it hits the server specified transcode duration (450s in my case) and then it hangs on the buffer animation at 33%. Waiting a long time only results in the error:

Playback Error: Your connection to the server was not fast enough to play this video. Check your network or try a lower quality. 

NOTE: The video was direct streaming, and only the audio was trancoding.
The same video plays and transcodes in the Plex Web Player (Firefox) without issue.

Distance from the Ubiquiti U6-Lite is about 2 feet, as they are on the same desk.

Also, the Plex authentication within the Roku app seems to log out quite frequently.
This seems to be related, but I am not sure why.

0 Kudos
semtex41
Reel Rookie

I suspect this is also related:
When performing a "Check Connection" wifi test, I get the following error:

> Unable to connect to wireless network. Error 014

I think this is related, as when things are working properly in Plex, the connection test also works.

0 Kudos
Stepcraft
Reel Rookie

Same issue! All 4 of my Rokus get stuck at 33% with EAC3 audio. I'm using Plex Media Server on my Synology NAS. All Rokus are hardwired (no WiFi). The Plex Media Server software on my Synology NAS and the Plex software on all my Rokus are up to date. EAC3 audio worked fine until recently. All other formats still work perfectly.

Is there no solution for this problem?

0 Kudos
Stepcraft
Reel Rookie

SOLVED! - Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC3 EAC audio Plex recently stopped playing EAC3

After many days of research and trial & error, I finally solved the issue with Plex hanging at 33% due to EAC3 (also called Enhanced AC-3, EAC, E-AC3, E-AC-3, E-A-C-3, and EC-3.) If you have a very large library, this should fix your problem.

Simply turning off "Scan my library automatically" fixed the problem for me. The box needs to be un-checked. I know this is a nice option to have, but if you have a large library, EAC3 Audio will not transcode correctly with "Scan my library automatically" turned on (checked). You will need to manually scan your library when you add new files, or you can set "Scan my library periodically" to 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.

Where is "Scan my library automatically" located? Open your web browser and open Plex (https://app.plex.tv/). Click the WRENCH icon (top right) or click on your "Account Settings" (top right). This should open a bunch of settings on the left of your screen. Click on "Library". The top item on the right-hand side of your screen should be "Scan my library automatically". Make sure this option is un-checked, then click "SAVE CHANGES" (bottom of screen). You also may need to stop Plex on your NAS and then re-start it after you save this un-checked this option, but probably not.

Why does "Scan my library automatically" affect EAC3? From what I understand, Plex uses the "inotify" Linux command to process EAC3. If you have a large library, the "inotify" command will reach its limit by watching at all your files, directories, and sub-directories, which will cause EAC3 to hang or fail. It may seem odd to use the "inotify" command for EAC3, but apparently that's what Plex is doing.

Please note: I'm using a Synology NAS which runs on Linux. If you're using Plex Media Server on Windows, Mac, or some other system besides Linux, this solution may not work for you, as I do not know how Plex processes EAC3 on others systems besides Linux.

I found many people suggesting deleting the "Codecs" folder in the "Plex Media Server" folder. This did not work for me, but it may be a solution for other systems like Windows and Mac. Deleting your "Codecs" folder will cause Plex to automatically re-download fresh codecs. If one was corrupted, this may solve your problem.

SOLVED! Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC EAC3 E-AC-3 E-AC3 audioSOLVED! Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC EAC3 E-AC-3 E-AC3 audio

0 Kudos
Stepcraft
Reel Rookie

Re: SOLVED! - Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC3 EAC audio Plex recently stopped playing

I posted on the Plex Forums about this EAC3 issue and a Plex Team Member added another option to fix this issue, and his solution is even better than disabling "Scan my library automatically".

Please see Plex's response:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/solved-plex-gets-stuck-spinning-at-33-with-all-videos-with-eac3-eac-audio-p... 

0 Kudos
Theyhavelanded
Channel Surfer

Re: SOLVED! - Plex hanging at 33% with all videos with EAC3 EAC audio Plex recently stopped playing

I’m having the same issue with a windows PMS setup. Roku 4800 plays for 3 minutes and change. Then stops. Reloads to 33% and after 15 seconds or so goes to an error about bandwidth. My 2019 Roku does not do this. It just works. Only happens with eac3 files on the 4800. Playing to a Samsung tv. No sound bar or reciver. Just using built in speakers. Audio does play while it’s working. This used to work with no problems. 

0 Kudos