Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timm317
Reel Rookie

Plex app crashes and Roku restarts or reboots....

I have used ROKU for quite the number of years with no issues. I recently upgraded to an ultra and everything was great. I use a hardwired connection to the player. I stream about everything and use my plex server and tuner from silicon dust (HD homerun) to do this. Recently when I go to play anything that has been recorded with the DVR function of the PLEX, the roku crashes and reboots. I get the static screen and everything. Is anybody getting this too? It's quite frustrating because I can strem the exact same content from a PC or my phone. It does not crash the server. It is a ROKU device crash.... 😞

Tim in Indy

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
optikhog
Roku Guru

Re: Plex app crashes and Roku restarts or reboots....

No problems here with the Plex app on Roku. You will want to go check their forums for help, they have been updating the app frequently...

https://forums.plex.tv/tag/roku

0 Kudos
Timm317
Reel Rookie

You could be correct, but since I have a Roku premier in another room and have no problem with it at all, I'm guessing that it is a hardware issue, or programming related to the hardware differences of the ultra and the premier.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The Ultra and Premiere is mostly the same box with some minor differences. Unless you have the brand new Ultra 4800, which does hardware differ from all other players. There have been some issues reported with the 4800, but I don't recall Plex being one of them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Timm317
Reel Rookie

It is a Model 4800X I purchased it in the beginning of February and it is still under warranty. I'm thinking i should send it back if there is no good reason for this to happen. I purchased an Ultra because i wanted to use a wired Ethernet connection. It happens no matter what type of connection I use. 😞

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just tried playing some recorded TV with my 4800, although it's not recorded with Plex. I use J River Media Center for my OTA recording, then edit out the commercials with VideoReDo. I haven't had any issues with playback, other than an aspect ratio problem with older 4:3 content being squeezed from the sides. But the same thing is happening when I use RMP for playback, so it's something specific with the 4800 and MPEG2 video. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Make sure this gets reported directly to Roku:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
wcktss
Reel Rookie

I recently replaced my Roku TV and I am having the same problem.  When I access Plex on this TV it crashes and reboots.  After it crashes and reboots, I can watch just fine for a while.  Days later it will do it again.  I still have the originall Roku TV that I replaced and it is fine.  It only happens when I access the Plex channel on this TV.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @wcktss

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Have you tried removing the affected channel Plex and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
wcktss
Reel Rookie

I have done that except I didn't reboot after the uninstall of the app.  I have now done the uninstall, reboot, and reinstall and will let you know the results.