Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Plex Roku channel vs. locally attached HDD

@RokuDale, Roku Media Player doesn’t have any style. It looks like it got left behind. It opens to a meager selection of icons that really don’t fit the idea of “media”. If the app were to get an overhaul, my first suggestion would be to, at the very least, style it more like Roku. Selection area on the left and preview of some type on the right hand portion. Much like the Roku Home looks. And in settings give the user an option to start up RMP at a certain device, be it locally connected USB, or DLNA, or... web server?
Once a device or connection type has been selected, that left side navigation becomes Music, Videos, Photos, etc... 
Selecting “Music” could take you to the music folder and the navigation selections become, Album, Artist, Playlists, etc... stuff related to how people listen to music. 
I think people look at RMP as primitive due to it’s stark and dated looking interface. It’s not like using a media player app. It feels more like you’re doing something in Windows 3.1. 
The app itself is functional. I’ve used it with both DLNA and directly connected USB, but it doesn’t scream “media”.... it just says “functional”... in a kind of deadpan voice.
I’m not saying it has to be a Plex look-alike. And I wouldn’t expect it to have the depth of configuration options of a full blown media server, just... make it look like Roku. I actually like the way we navigate within Roku. Nav left, select and slide right. Add artwork ....something more than the super simple icons RMP currently has. 

I don’t mean this to sound demeaning. We’re still new to Roku. Just a couple months. But when I started putting our CDs into digital format and ripping DVDs, and then plugged the flash drive into the Ultra, I was.... disappointed. Not because it didn’t look like Plex (which seems to be what a lot of people use), but because it didn’t look like Roku.
Does that make sense?
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"RokuDale" wrote:
@op Could you identify specifically which parts of the RMP UI is primitive? And please include any suggested changes. I'm keeping a wish list for future RMP development.
rokudale

Really? You don't think it is primitive?

<app id="2213" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="4.1.1609">Roku Media Player</app>

It is still using the OLD framework. I suspect this is why Roku never ditched the SDKA framework like they threatened would happen come 2019. Now we are halfway through 2019 and no movement on RMP ever being updated to RSGA or even, dare we say, NDKA. SDKA is primitive. Why does this app lag behind? Is it the red headed step child app?

<app id="151908" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.0.19">The Roku Channel</app>

OMG one of the apps has been created in RSGA. But.. still more problems:

<app id="41922" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.0.302">Roku Recommends</app>
<app id="184661" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.0.38">Roku Streaming Player Intro</app>

Guess there is no rush to update these if the SDKA framework is going to exist forever and a day.

Wish list.. Look at Emby, Plex, and Kodi. Now copy the best ideas/features from all 3 and wrap it up into a single app. Call it RMP v5.0. Impress us. Be impressive. Right now that app underwhelms in almost every category. It looks like my 13 year old cousin wrote it while in junior high school. It looks unfinished. It looks rough. It looks shoddy. Just being honest.

Do not get this wrong. The bones are great. The musculature is amazing. It is the pretty face missing and sexy body. It isn't ready for prom in 2019. It needs a new prom dress (write it in rsga). Some fancy glass shoes (better navigation). And a Prince Charming (the wow factor on how you impress us with your animations/rsg graphics).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I invite all of you to join the rmp beta program. send a pm to me.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The issue I see with implementing DLNA is, the ROKU chimps out when internet service is unavailable?  If this isn't the case, please correct my mistaken conclusion.

If I can get this working, I'll be using Roku to finally be worthy of inviting Jane Goodall to my hut for a viewing of Joe vs The Volcano, as opposed to being doomed to house arrest in my home theater in the smoggy city.

Soon it will be 2020 but people do leave their homes occasionally and the Sun still sets at night, or perhaps not?

Point me to a device that doesn't chimp out in case internet chokes.

Sorry, looks like I posted to the wrong thread.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

RMP when accessing a DLNA server is designed to be a DLNA browser. It displays the folders and media organized the way you've set them up in the DLNA server. Every DLNA server has it's own UI and RMP tries to accurately represent that. The DLNA server provides the tree hierarchy for browsing as well as supplies the artwork.
If you don't like the grid/icon view you can switch to the ListView and the focused items thumbnail image will appear on the right side.
You can also tell RMP to go directly to the device selection screen, skipping the mediatype selection screen.
Those options are available via Settings button.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I
"RokuDale" wrote:
I invite all of you to join the rmp beta program. send a pm to me.
rokudale

I have a 32 tlc Roku tv also and it won't. Run or read my HDD?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

0 Kudos