Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Last Straw - I've had it with Roku

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... ng-device-
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
ele
Level 7

Re: Plex Classic

This is a shameful action. The third or fourth most used 'channel' I had.  You've reduced the utility of the device.  And the process!  It's as though y'all snuck in in the middle of the night and stole it.

I am very disappointed.
0 Kudos
lazysean
Level 7

There was absolutely no legitimate reason to delete this channel.  It worked flawlessly.  It did not violate any of your terms.  Just a dìck move, Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
john262
Level 7

People, throw your Roku's away and get Android boxes. I did and I'm not looking back. There is no future with Roku.
0 Kudos
chiaroscuro
Level 7

"john262" wrote:
People, throw your Roku's away and get Android boxes. I did and I'm not looking back. There is no future with Roku.

What do you recommend  - the google box?
BTW the mods of this forum deleted my other post  "Last Straw - I've had it with Roku". I guess that's how they deal with criticism.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"chiaroscuro" wrote:
"john262" wrote:

What do you recommend  - the google box?
BTW the mods of this forum deleted my other post  "Last Straw - I've had it with Roku". I guess that's how they deal with criticism.

It was merged into this thread.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 10

I can't believe Roku just decides for ME that Plex Classic is no longer allowed on MY ACCOUNT! It just deletes it without my permission! The Plex Classic app wasn't a problem, there are so many useless channels in the channel store and something very useful like Plex Classic gets deleted? Hey Roku, if you didn't want to update it anymore that's fine, just leave it the hellll alone. You had no right to remove a channel that I had on my account that I use ALL OF THE TIME! I want Plex Classic made available again immediately, I'll never buy another Roku again if this is the way Roku treats people that pay for their streaming boxes. There are a lot of people with older model Rokus and the new Plex app is horribly slow and Plex Classic was fast and very useful, Roku is effectively screwing all of those customers over. Since you don't want to let us use Plex Classic on our older Rokus how about you send new Roku Ultras to all of the people you took away Plex Classic from so they can use the new Plex app without it being sluggish? Give us Plex Classic back!
0 Kudos
brianrok
Level 7

I've emailed an executive requesting a refund for all these Rokus I've bought that are now worthless to me.  If that fails, I suppose I'll contact Amazon since they're still selling this garbage.  In my view, their actions were criminal.  They removed software off of our property.  It's no different then selling me a car, breaking in to my garage, and removing the aftermarket spoiler I put on it.  It doesn't belong to them.

In the short-term, I set up pi-hole to block all Roku ads and did a custom block on their updates.  Hopefully, blocking ads will hit them where it hurts.  Installed Rarflix to get a Plex classic like app back on my Rokus.  It's not as good, but it's workable.  I'm thinking the Raspberry Pi might be a good alternative.  I did order a Roku for a friend to set up since Spectrum blocked their cable TV without having a converter box on all TVs.  Luckily, I just got it yesterday.  Back it goes.  We'll find a better box to do it.
0 Kudos
fleinbach
Level 7

This is absolutely outrageous removing Plex Classic. I have been using Plex for over 4 years and have 58 friends and family I share with. I recommended they purchase a Roku and many of them purchased 2 or 3 just to watch Plex. After this ludicrous maneuver by Roku I am sorry I ever did! And its not just the fact that you removed it but how you did it. The least you could have done was switch people to the newer junk version, but no you just removed it entirely leaving people wondering what happened to there Plex Channel. That is just uncalled for. 
    I thought Roku was the best option for my friends to watch Plex after trying most other players available but now I must reconsider and start looking for another alternative. Not to mention having to explain this idiotic decision to all my friends when they call me today wondering why there Plex Channel has gone.  Most of which are not even a little bit tech savvy so I will spend countless hours just trying to get them back online installing the new Plex and then trying to explain how to navigate it. 

Give us Plex Classic back!
0 Kudos

Wondering about the lack of transparency here. The link posted by a Roku engineer https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... ng-device-
doesn’t address the specific deletion of Plex Classic. Plex has stated they did not remove the channel over on their forum and the list of reasons a channel might be removed according to Roku don’t seem relevant to the Plex Classic app...piracy? That could be a problem for a number of apps including RMP.

Curious if other folks could suggest alternatives to Roku and/or the Classic app that are worth exploring?
0 Kudos