Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Plex Channel crashing out to roku menu during playback

Jump to solution

so it seems like there was an update to the plex channel recently and it mostly works how i'd expect but since i use rokus to shuffle videos from my plex library all day I've noticed a bug that it will, randomly, crash completely out to the roku menu mid-video, sometimes pretty quickly sometimes after an hour or two of shuffling, but in the last couple weeks or so it hasn't made it through an entire 6 hour shift without crashing a few times, when before that it never was an issue at all. i thought maybe it was the roku i was using, so i tried my regular roku, the roku stick i had, and the roku premier i have at home, and the result was the same on all which is why i think its a problem with the channel code, and not any particular hardware. 

its a uncommon case use but has anyone else experienced this? i figure if i see it on all my different roku devices it may be something someone else has noticed, but i don't know how many people use the plex channel in this way.

i would attach a screenshot but theres really nothing to screenshot, no error or anything, just one second you are watching a video and then the next you are sitting on the roku channel select menu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Plex Channel crashing out to roku menu during playback

Jump to solution

Thanks for this, was unaware of this new setting and it totally sounds like the culprit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm seeing the same thing...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@w5pny @aslangrealis 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

no i've done that on all three of my rokus and they still have the same issue in plex, which isnt quick to test because like i mentioned it happens after a while of streaming a playlist 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes -- I've done this and the problem persists. It occurs into a
playlist stream that last more than 4 hours. It usually happens
about 3.5 or 4 hours into the stream...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've noticed this seems to happen at 4am all the time.  I have a Roku screensaver that depends on an internet connection and it loses internet connection when this happens.  It might be that the Roku firmware is doing something that prevents internet access by Roku apps at 4am every day with the latest firmware.  I have a Roku III. Non of my non Roku devices have internet access trouble when this happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having become more and more convinced the problem is with the Roku firmware, I finally decided to go over ALL the menu items on the Roku, looking for new features.  This problem began around the time of the last Roku firmware upgrade.  Lo and behold -- there was a NEW item:  Settings->Network->Bandwidth Saver.  By default it was set to "ON" and it's tooltip said the any app/channel streaming for 4 hours without any action from the remote would be stopped.  My last remote action was always around midnight or just before, so the 4 am business matched the problem.  I switched this setting to "OFF" and it looks like things are good.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for this, was unaware of this new setting and it totally sounds like the culprit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos