Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Playing music CDs via a Roku 3 and Roku Media Player.

Dear Forum members & Roku experts

I still use the Roku 3, which I still find very versatile, to play my online TV streaming channels, Internet Radio, videos and especially my digital albums. However, I would also like to play my music CDs but, unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Please note, I am not trying to play USB thumb drives, that I can easily do, I am trying to work out a way to play physical music CDs.

Now, I was thinking that I could use an external DVD/CD player plugged into the USB2 port, on the right side of the R3, but I do not know if the Roku media player is capable of playing a music CD from an external player. 

So I would be very grateful if someone could either confirm or deny that the Roku media player is capable of playing a music CD from an external USB CD player.

Still, if my idea is impractical then I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can possibly play my music CDs via my Roku 3.

UK Bob

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Playing music CDs via a Roku 3 and Roku Media Player.

No, there is no way to connect an external player of any kind to a Roku player. That would require audio inputs, which no Roku has ever had. There's no way to play a physical CD and have the audio sent through a Roku device. As you noted, either playing them via a USB drive or streaming from a DLNA server. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Playing music CDs via a Roku 3 and Roku Media Player.

Hi ATC

Thanks for your answer, which for me confirmed my own thoughts.

Cheers.

UK Bob

0 Kudos