Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaa69
Reel Rookie

PlayOn channel no longer works

Jump to solution

I have been using the PlayOn on PC, not PlayOn Cloud app for years.  Always worked great.  Suddenly it no longer works.  What's up?  I can still "cast" content from PlayOn but that now requires I go to the PlayOn app on the PC and initiate the content I wish to view.   

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: PlayOn channel no longer works

Jump to solution

Hi @jaa69

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

It looks like PlayOn is no longer available on the Roku Channel store and cannot be located in the channel search. If you want more information about a removed channel, please see our support page here: Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device?

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @KRisYancy

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Channels, Themes, or Screensavers can be removed at any time for a variety of different reasons. At times, our content providers may choose to remove their channel from our platform at their own request. In other cases, a channel may be removed by us if it violates our terms and conditions. We take reports of piracy or any other unlawful activity very seriously.

For more information, please see our support page here: Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device?

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Karla

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @jaa69

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

It looks like PlayOn is no longer available on the Roku Channel store and cannot be located in the channel search. If you want more information about a removed channel, please see our support page here: Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device?

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
irlisalisa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dear Kariza D,

Yours was not a great answer since you just restated the question. Please provide an answer. Why is the PlayOn app no longer available on Roku. I HAVE Roku so that I can watch content on PlayOn. This is not acceptable.

Sincerely,  

Lisa K.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@irlisalisa, ask PlayOn, but I'd be willing to bet they never updated their channel/app to eliminate old no longer supported components.  The warning went out long, long ago to developers that this would happen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dadstaxi54

Jump to solution

Playon is actively using Playon Home now, a similar App to the original.  I have been using Playon, like others have for years.  The only other option is Playon Cloud, which I hope Roku will include in their list of channels if I swap over.

Right now I have to Cast the program I watch from PC, run down the stairs, watch the program using the TV remote, not the Roku remote and go back up the stairs for the next program, pain in the **bleep**.  

0 Kudos
jaa69
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Too bad Roku couldn't use us some of that valuable advertising space on the home page to actually alert customers to the changes they make, like disabling channels, and WHY !!

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jaa69, I agree with you.  Notices have been sent out to developers over the years about how channels/apps need to be updated, but users are never informed about any of this and then all of a sudden channels disappear from users' devices.  Maybe if users were notified about what was about to happen they could try (and that's not always easy) to contact the developer to get on the ball and update the channel.

I've received two emails from Roku now about how a channel I developed was removed from the Channel Store.  Neither specified which channel.  That's just typical Roku.  Even when they do communicate, it's poor at best.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Paul415
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, that answer was exceptionally bad.  And when trying to use customer support, I found that I wasn't elegible.  Apparently you only get support if you buy more expensive items.   This finished me off with Roku.  I've bought serveral of their products, including a couple gifts, over the years, but now I'm done.

I have now purchased two Fire Sticks for my TVs, and they work fine.  The interface is different, of course, but everything I've recorded is there and plays smoothly, including ad-skip.

LesPaul71

Jump to solution

I have then same issue but there is a work around.

Instead of using PlayOn Media player on Roku, use

the Roku media player. It recognizes PlayOn Home

on your network and can open files or folders thru it.

Works and looks very similar to Media Player. Disappointing

yes, but at least you can still stream your stuff. Hope this

helps others.

irlisalisa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you @LesPaul71 !

0 Kudos