Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcormier
Level 7

Pixelated, blurry video only on Amazon Prime

Anyone else having this problem? I have a new Roku Premiere+ that streams all other channels just fine (Hulu, Netflix, etc), but not Amazon Prime video. I already did the whole "remove the channel and re-add" thing to no avail. I have a PS/3 connected to the same gigabit ethernet switch as the Roku, and it streams Amazon video just fine over my gigabit fiber internet connection. I even swapped the connections between the Roku and the PS/3 and the problem stayed with the Roku.

Of course Roku support says it's a problem with Amazon despite my test showing the Roku has problems where the PS/3 does not over the exact same connection. Thoughts? 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Pixelated, blurry video only on Amazon Prime

I watched a few things on Amazon last night, and I noticed the first one took longer than normal to get up to speed. By that I mean the stream reached the point of providing at least DVD resolution. Usually it's almost instantaneous, but it was 10 or more seconds of VHS quality (or worse). However, once it had ramped up it was fine with the remaining shows. Perhaps Amazon was having issues last night. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
8785malc
Level 7

We have the same issue with Amazon Prime screen quality.  It seems that after the movie runs for about 10 minutes, the quality gradually improves, but not as good as other channels. if you pause, the poor qualiity returns.  We have tried everything.  Why is this is never not a problem with Netflix or Hulu?  I think Amazon is in denial!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"8785malc" wrote:
We have the same issue with Amazon Prime screen quality.  It seems that after the movie runs for about 10 minutes, the quality gradually improves, but not as good as other channels.  if you pause, the poor qualiity returns.  We have tried everything.  Why is this is never not a problem with Netflix or Hulu?  I think Amazon is in denial!

This sounds more like an internet speed issue. Most online streaming sources, such as Amazon and Netflix, will start the stream at a lower resolution and step it up as it determines you can accept a higher rate. It also goes in reverse when it feels the stream is too fast for your connection. There were many times I have seen Netflix drop to something worse than a VHS tape on SLP speed. However, it's been quite some time since I've seen it drop like that, as I now have a 90 Mbps connection. And even with fairly slow connections the image shouldn't be really bad. I just came home from a business trip, and used my Roku Stick on the hotel's Wi-Fi. Those are not known for having particularly high speed, and I watched Amazon every night without noticing any image issues. 
Another possibility is you might be getting throttled somewhere on your ISP's network, or the Internet itself. For a while I had serious issues getting a resolution higher than 480 from Netflix, while I had no issues with Amazon or YouTube. I had to make an FCC complaint before my ISP was even willing to investigate. But once they did, they determined that there was something outside of their network (maybe the Internet itself, or perhaps something between my ISP and the Internet), and that it in fact was throttling Netflix but letting everything else through. It finally went away, but it drove me crazy for months!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
wawh411
Level 7

It is obvious to me that it is something that it something Amazon is doing or not doing. Run it on Roku or smart  TV both show a blurry pic. On Netflix or Hulu HDR is very sharp.   What's the deal with this? Band with and speed is just fine. as well as the hardware. 

I get all excited when a movie comes on that is HDR. Knowing it will e extremely high quilty, not amazon,  more like 480  or less. 

0 Kudos