Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Authorpaul
Level 7

Perhaps a tough question about remote use with UMP

Hello, all. This is my first message on the forum. I've scanned through the majority of posts regarding Universal Media Player, but wasn't able to find an answer to my probably tough question.

Is it possible to remotely access data on my computer via the Universal Media Player app on another Roku and without a computer at the remote location? I believe I saw an app which will link my android phone to my Roku and all channels available, but I'd like to be able to play the movies located on my computer on a remotely located television with a Roku.

I know, I reread what I posted and am shaking my head too!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can figure this one out.

Paul 
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Perhaps a tough question about remote use with UMP

I can't say for UMP, but you can do that with Plex. Install Plex Media Server on your computer, and then configure remote access. I use my Roku Stick all the time when traveling and can access my Plex server without issue. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos