Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJAX7
Level 8

Peacock channel doesn't let me access TV menu (TCL roku TV)

I have a TCL roku tv. In order to change the picture/audio settings, I need to press the asterisk (*) in the remote. When playing anything on the Peacock channel, pressing the asterisk only shows Peacock's menu. This is very annoying, since I can't make any changes like reduce the TV brightness.

Anyone's having the same issue or have a fix?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Peacock channel doesn't let me access TV menu (TCL roku TV)

There is no fix because it's not a bug.

App developers can program the Options (asterisk) button to do things related to the app itself. That's what it's doing, so it's by design behavior set by the Peacock app developer (NBC).

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
AJAX7
Level 8

@DBDukes wrote:

There is no fix because it's not a bug.

App developers can program the Options (asterisk) button to do things related to the app itself. That's what it's doing, so it's by design behavior set by the Peacock app developer (NBC).

Thanks DBDukes,

Well, that's kind of bad on both ROKU'sand Peacock's side. Why would roku let apps mess with the * key when they know there are millions of TVs that rely on the button to access their picture settings? And why would peacock be the only app reprogramming that in such a way? Seems like they just want to loose viewers.

Anyway, is there a way to raise this issue to arlt least make sure the ROKU and Peacock guys know this is happening? I mean, I searched internet and these forums and couldn't find a single person discussing this. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

It's more like why the TV's don't have their own SETUP button instead of using a standard Roku key? On stand-alone Roku boxes, the * key is typically used for audio and closed captioning selection, depending on how much the app has overridden for it's own interface. Outside an app, it's used for getting info on a selected app, removing it, moving it, etc...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

FTR, the Options (*) key/functionality in the Peacock TV app works the exact same as on every other app during playback on every Roku player model (including a 3800, 3910, 3810, 4670 and 4800):  Closed captioning/audio track (disabled)/Sound Settings/Volume Mode/Accessibility are the available options.

It is NOT using any app-specific functionality/overrides.

So, for whatever reason, on Roku TVs, it seems to be missing the Roku TV-specific option functions.

My guess is that it was oversight/incompetence:  the app developers only coded/tested it on Roku player models, and didnt realize they needed to make sure those RokuTV-specific options are available/working.

I suggest contacting Peacock TV and informing/explaining the issue to them:  https://www.peacocktv.com/help/

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AJAX7
Level 8

@andyross wrote:

It's more like why the TV's don't have their own SETUP button instead of using a standard Roku key? On stand-alone Roku boxes, the * key is typically used for audio and closed captioning selection, depending on how much the app has overridden for it's own interface. Outside an app, it's used for getting info on a selected app, removing it, moving it, etc...

ROKU TVs only use the same ROKU remote as any ROKU device. So ROKU is not only completely aware of the key these TVs use for accessing their settings, they also must have aprooved it. 

0 Kudos
AJAX7
Level 8

@StreamerUser wrote:

FTR, the Options (*) key/functionality in the Peacock TV app works the exact same as on every other app during playback on every Roku player model (including a 3800, 3910, 3810, 4670 and 4800):  Closed captioning/audio track (disabled)/Sound Settings/Volume Mode/Accessibility are the available options.

It is NOT using any app-specific functionality/overrides.

So, for whatever reason, on Roku TVs, it seems to be missing the Roku TV-specific option functions.

My guess is that it was oversight/incompetence:  the app developers only coded/tested it on Roku player models, and didnt realize they needed to make sure those RokuTV-specific options are available/working.

I suggest contacting Peacock TV and informing/explaining the issue to them:  https://www.peacocktv.com/help/

Great suggestion streamer, I'll definitely do that and report back if I get an answer. 

0 Kudos