Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmsnyc
Level 7

Pausing live tv on Xfinity Instant TV Beta

Someone on the Xfinity forums posted that it is not possible to have the feature to pause live tv on the Roku app because there is no "memory" buffer on the Roku.   Does that sound like a valid answer ?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Pausing live tv on Xfinity Instant TV Beta

"jmsnyc" wrote:
Someone on the Xfinity forums posted that it is not possible to have the feature to pause live tv on the Roku app because there is no "memory" buffer on the Roku.   Does that sound like a valid answer ?

Roku isn't a DVR. And live TV streams that have DVR functionality handle that on the server. So, yeah, to a degree it's true, insofar as Roku won't keep 30 minutes of content like a TiVo (which it stores on the hard drive). But it does have a small buffer; all streaming devices do.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"jmsnyc" wrote:

That does sound valid. The only PAUSE LIVE TV configuration I am aware of is with a Roku TV and OTA channels with the addition of a Flash Drive in the USB port of the Roku TV. That gives you the ability to PAUSE LIVE OTA CHANNELS and provides a 90 minute buffer of LIVE TV.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
jmsnyc
Level 7

I actually think Xfinity just cripples the app thinking it can encourage people to go back to traditional cable and set top boxes.

I am able to pause live TV in NBC app (or channel as it is called on Roku but not the Xfinity Instant TV app.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jmsnyc" wrote:
I actually think Xfinity just cripples the app thinking it can encourage people to go back to traditional cable and set top boxes.

I am able to pause live TV in NBC app (or channel as it is called on Roku but not the Xfinity Instant TV app.

Keep in mind that the Xfinity app still says "Beta" on it, so it's officially still under development. Of course, it's been in beta for a few years now.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos