Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffatrad
Level 7

Password insanity...

When is Roku going to address the nonsense of passwords and activations on the device?  I have 5 Rokus, and if I randomly sit down at any one of them right now and randomly choose a channel, it will almost certainly force me to reactivate that channel.  That's terrible design and a horrible user experience that Roku should be focusing on instead more dumb features that also will require terrible activations.

And the worst thing, is that I can go through the reactivation process, say on ESPN, then decide to go into another room, and BAM, I have to reactivate THAT device.  That is simply insane.

Roku should be managing these activations directly and at the very least, activate across all the devices on my account.  Or save the master password in a keychain or SOMETHING. 

This is the worse aspect of using a Roku (although it's neck and neck with the stupid voice search button moving around from remote to remote).  
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 8

Re: Password insanity...

In general, you shouldn't ever need to reactivate that much - it's certainly not be design. I haven't logged into my channels since I set up my TV, months ago. 

Ultimately, though, all the passwords and logins are required because most channels won't/can't work with Roku to make zero or single sign-in. 
0 Kudos

"jeffatrad" wrote:
When is Roku going to address the nonsense of passwords and activations on the device?  I have 5 Rokus, and if I randomly sit down at any one of them right now and randomly choose a channel, it will almost certainly force me to reactivate that channel.  That's terrible design and a horrible user experience that Roku should be focusing on instead more dumb features that also will require terrible activations.

And the worst thing, is that I can go through the reactivation process, say on ESPN, then decide to go into another room, and BAM, I have to reactivate THAT device.  That is simply insane.

Roku should be managing these activations directly and at the very least, activate across all the devices on my account.  Or save the master password in a keychain or SOMETHING. 

This is the worse aspect of using a Roku (although it's neck and neck with the stupid voice search button moving around from remote to remote).  

That's an issue with your TV provider.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

What model Roku players, and specifically what channels? As Scotty mentioned, many channels are authenticated through your TV provider, and they may have different standards for re-authentication. And it's really not practical for Roku to attempt to store all passwords, as there are so many different providers out there. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bfelts
Level 7

"jeffatrad" wrote:

1) This is not a design flaw on the part of Roku.  It is a combination of you wanting authenticated services available in more than one room of your house on separate devices, and then not following through on using them actively enough to keep the activations refreshed enough to continue working.  Your sessions are going stale and need to be refreshed.  This is normal and should be expected, frustrating or not.  

2) Roku isn't going to make a keystore or centralized repository, nor are they going to replicate one provider's activation across your other devices just to make it more convenient for you or someone else like you (or pretending to be you) to continue to watch protected content. 

3) The content providers (your cable company, or the network(s) you're complaining about signing into), not Roku, are where you need to direct your complaints about this stuff.  They are what you logged into originally where proved you were paying for whatever you claimed you were at the time; they're the ones that authorized you then, and who authorizes you now.

BTW, you'd have this same problem on Apple TV, Amazon FireStick, and any other authenticated watch platform that uses session(s) based on TV Everywhere credentials, with standards dictated by content providers, essentially.

"In December 2017, it was reported that television providers and program distributors have begun to implement measures in order to discourage this practice, including reducing the length of login session, reducing the number of concurrent streams allowed on a single account, and monitoring unusual usage patterns such as large numbers of concurrent streams on a single account—especially those originating from outside of the customer's region, or during major programs." -- Wikipedia "TV Everywhere" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Everywhere)

So yeah, target your lasers appropriately.

Next time, use each device (and the authenticated apps on each of those devices) more than a couple weeks inbetween sessions, and this kind of stuff usually doesn't happen as much.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Pompey
Level 7

The minor annoyance in having to re-authenticate and re-activate your TVE channels is never going to go away. Can you blame the content providers for trying to prevent the illicit harvesting of their properly? And trying to outguess the algorithms that determine when your credentials timeout is nearly impossible. On some cable systems, it sometimes helps to launch a TVE channel regularly....even if you don't watch it often.
I would have liked to see an approved, simple, compact, light-on-resources browser for Roku (something like Opera used to be), so that you wouldn't have to reach for your phone, or tablet, or PC to finish your TVE channel activation
But I assume that has a host of implications -- not really technical, but legal.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos