Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malamonkey

Re: Paramount Plus Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

Turned off the ad blocker at the router, fixed the problem immediately. 

0 Kudos
JCJ53
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Tested things last night with 1883 on Paramount+.  It is suddenly working again without having to do all the reboots, resets etc. I didn't have any ad-blocker to turn off, so that was never an issue.  Checked software versions and those hadn't changed either.

The ONLY thing I noticed that changed is the second ad that it used to hang on.  Instead of saying CBS it now says Paramount+.  Could all of this been as simple as a glitch in their ad software?

Will keep tabs on everything.

0 Kudos
Tagshovlin

Re: Paramount + Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

I’ve tried all the suggestions Roku has made to get Paramount Plus to work to no avail. It happens with no other streaming service. Any suggestions aside from getting a different streaming stick? 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I had this same issue intermittently for a few weeks, almost immediately after starting to use the app.  Fortunately, it went away after awhile and has been several months since it has happened.  

0 Kudos
joepucci
Streaming Star

Re: Paramount + Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

I'm currently using a Roku Ultra, which was not working with Paramount+ but is now. My Paramount+ app version is 6.4.2022014

I'm not sure if all Paramount+ apps are the same across all Roku devices, but it is worth checking. From within the App, go to Settings, then Support. 

Of late, Paramount+ has been consistently working across all of my devices. Maybe they are rolling out a fix?

0 Kudos
Mike_66

Jump to solution

Following your instructions, The Roku restarted twice trying to add Paramount Plus, the when it did reload, and I logged back in.  The show loaded where it left off, only to have the Roku restart as soon as it started playing.

Model: 3930RW - Roku Express
Serial Number X00400C3YJJV(S00931A3JJV
Software version: 10.5.0 * build 4208-AE
Timestamp: 2022-03-14T21:50:59Z
Issue ID JV-104-990

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing and information.

Our team has continued investigating the issue and is hoping to have further resolution soon. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Aviationfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

More experiments here at my house that might help the team.

If I try to watch a show with my Pihole ad blocking enabled on my network, the playback fails. It will continue to fail if I restart the device. It also still fails if I unplug it and try again all with ad blocking turned off. I think this shows that the device is unable to get the information it needs on the first try then caches that bad data in long term storage. At some point it ignores the cache and tries again to lookup the information it needs and my experiments show that 1 day is sufficient to do that. Who knows what the actual time is to store the cached information.

If I remember to disable the Pihole ad blocking before playing a show it works perfectly for the whole episode that I selected.

If the ad blocking is on when the app tries to auto play the next episode it will fail and stay in a failed state until some time goes by, like 1 day that mentioned above. 

I am looking at putting in a different rule set for the Roku devices on the ad-blocker (Pihole in my case) so this does not keep happening. 

As a tech professional this "bad data in the cache" idea makes sense but I could be way off. If I were looking at the code that is where I would look next.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Aviationfan wrote:

More experiments here at my house that might help the team.

If I try to watch a show with my Pihole ad blocking enabled on my network, the playback fails. It will continue to fail if I restart the device. It also still fails if I unplug it and try again all with ad blocking turned off. I think this shows that the device is unable to get the information it needs on the first try then caches that bad data in long term storage. At some point it ignores the cache and tries again to lookup the information it needs and my experiments show that 1 day is sufficient to do that. Who knows what the actual time is to store the cached information.

If I remember to disable the Pihole ad blocking before playing a show it works perfectly for the whole episode that I selected.

If the ad blocking is on when the app tries to auto play the next episode it will fail and stay in a failed state until some time goes by, like 1 day that mentioned above. 

I am looking at putting in a different rule set for the Roku devices on the ad-blocker (Pihole in my case) so this does not keep happening. 

As a tech professional this "bad data in the cache" idea makes sense but I could be way off. If I were looking at the code that is where I would look next.

Any and all ad-blocking needs to be turned off when using Paramount+.

0 Kudos
d0lfan7

Jump to solution

I use eero secure and every time I tried to watch Champions League it would error out. I tried apple tv, roku and fire stick they all failed. I finally set up paramountplus.com on the allowed list in eero secure and it worked. What a mess!!!

0 Kudos