Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

As far as I know, only my 3820X Streaming Stick 4K received the v11 update just a few minutes ago. I have not checked any of my other Roku devices, which include the 2020 Ultra, Premiere, and Streaming Stick+.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

OK, the 4800, is the 2020 Ultra, so I'm waiting on that one to update.  I also have a 4660, but it's connected to a 1080p TV, so HDR doesn't apply to that one.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

I agree in regards to NF+Atmos - Its why I (and many others) got one as well.  Regardless, the original FS4K exists and is getting updates (app and firmware), so wanted to make clear what the current state is for the firmware and P+.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Do you find FireTV a good replacement for Roku?  The only reason I really keep Roku around now is mainly for YouTube as it supports HDR YouTube Playback.  I could easily switch to a different platform if that was also offered.  I could even just stick with Apple TV as the only streamer, if YouTube HDR support was better.  There are other reasons I like the Roku, but that's the main reason I still have them around.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

My 2020 UItra is connected to a non-HDR 4K display, so I'm in no rush in checking that device, ther than possibly disconnecting and then checking it on my LG C1 OLED.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

For me, no, I mainly use my Firesticks to watch OTA content that was recorded on their Recast DVR. Disney+ will not play in Atmos on my non-HDR display on my Firestick, but does on my Roku Ultra. Both devices only play Disney+ in HD on that non-HDR display.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Just to be clear, as of 2020 NF no longer requires on-device Dolby decoding for NF Atmos:  The GCCWGTV, 3940, 3941, 3820, 3821, and 4801 devices all support NF Atmos and only support Dolby passthrough.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

OK, makes sense then for you.  For me, my TV is HDR10, and HLG compatible when it comes to HDR.  For audio I have a 2021 Vizio sound bar that's Atmos and DTS:X compatible plus all the other formats (including lossless ).  However, lossless and DTS:X don't typically apply to streaming services / devices, so those are used with physical media, or local streaming of rips of said discs.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

and as I had stated earlier, I tried the Firestick 4K Max, and returned it because it has motion smoothing, aka frame interpolation aka Soap Opera effect turned on with no way to disable it.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Answers the "fixed in a coming update" question, at least for the initial build (w/app compatibility layer updates) of OS 11.

0 Kudos